Re: [mpls-tp] [mpls] WG LC draft-lm-pwe3-mpls-tp-gal-in-pw-00.txt

Robert Rennison <Robert.Rennison@ecitele.com> Tue, 22 March 2011 16:20 UTC

From: Robert Rennison <Robert.Rennison@ecitele.com>
To: Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com>, Greg Mirsky <gregimirsky@gmail.com>, Luca Martini <lmartini@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 12:22:12 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "lihan@chinamobile.com" <lihan@chinamobile.com>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, pwe3 <pwe3@ietf.org>, HUANG Feng F <Feng.f.Huang@alcatel-sbell.com.cn>, "mpls-tp@ietf.org" <mpls-tp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls-tp] [mpls] WG LC draft-lm-pwe3-mpls-tp-gal-in-pw-00.txt

Luca, Thomas,

A couple of clarification questions.

I'm trying to understand what the combination of the two drafts, -lm-pwe3-mpls-tp-gal-in-pw, and draft-nadeau-pwe3-vccv-2 amounts to.

So, I think I understood the draft-nadeau-pwe3-vccv-2 in that it's saying use VCCV type 1 where possible and if not then use the new type 4, whereby  in type 4 the exception mechanism is triggered by the use of the GAL,  and I appreciated the diagram in section 3 to lock this is, so far so good.

Now I read -pwe3-mpls-tp-gal-in-pw and I'm thinking , Ok these two drafts could work together since this one is trying to lay the "legal framework" i.e fix up the RFCs which mandated that the GAL could not be used with the PW.

Then I get hit with a brick wall in the form of the statements in the last 2 paras of section 3 of tp-gal-in-pw which state.

- Section 4.2<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lm-pwe3-mpls-tp-gal-in-pw-00#section-4.2>. (GAL Applicability and Usage) in [RFC5586<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5586>], the
      original text:

          In MPLS-TP, the GAL MUST be used with packets on a G-ACh on
          LSPs, Concatenated Segments of LSPs, and with Sections, and
          MUST NOT be used with PWs. It MUST always be at the bottom of
          the label stack (i.e., S bit set to 1). However, in other MPLS
          environments, this document places no restrictions on where
          the GAL may appear within the label stack or its use with PWs.

      is replaced by:

          In MPLS-TP, the GAL MUST be used with packets on a G-ACh on
          LSPs, Concatenated Segments of LSPs, and with Sections, and
          MAY be used with PWs. It MUST always be at the bottom of the
          label stack (i.e., S bit set to 1). However, in other MPLS
          environments, this document places no restrictions on where
          the GAL may appear within the label stack.

It's the bit about the GAL MUST be at the bottom of the label stack,  this is clearly inconsistent with what is proposed in the draft-nadeau-pwe3 where one can clearly see the GAL above the PW label and if one has to use  a GAL with a PW this would be the place to put it,

Now I can hear you saying "oh but look at the text below this, where we state .."However, in other MPLS environments , this document places no restrictions on where the GAL may appear within the label stack. This is consistent with draft-nadeau "   In which case I'd retort with ; what are we to do for PWs in   MPLS-TP, since what's in draft-nadeau would not be allowed ?

Clarification /explanation appreciated.

Cheers

Rob Rennison