Re: [mpls] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC8287 (6101)

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu> Mon, 13 April 2020 14:15 UTC

To: RFC Errata System <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, naikumar@cisco.com, cpignata@cisco.com, swallow.ietf@gmail.com, nobo.akiya.dev@gmail.com, sriganeshkini@gmail.com, mach.chen@huawei.com, db3546@att.com, aretana.ietf@gmail.com, martin.vigoureux@nokia.com, n.leymann@telekom.de, tsaad.net@gmail.com
Cc: alexander.vainshtein@ecitele.com, mpls@ietf.org
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 22:15:45 +0800
Subject: Re: [mpls] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC8287 (6101)

Sasha, et.al.,

The errata is mostly right, but the suggested corrected text is not
entirely correct.

Also this seems to have crept in while the document was in the RFC Ed
Queue, and should  have been discovered during AUTH48. As the Shepherd
I should have captured this.

The text that the IESG approved is correct,
draft-ietf-mpls-spring-lsp-ping-13, it stands out very clearly in the diff.

On 13/04/2020 19:17, RFC Errata System wrote:
> The following errata report has been submitted for RFC8287,
> "Label Switched Path (LSP) Ping/Traceroute for Segment Routing (SR) IGP-Prefix and IGP-Adjacency Segment Identifiers (SIDs) with MPLS Data Planes".
>
> --------------------------------------
> You may review the report below and at:
> https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6101
>
> --------------------------------------
> Type: Editorial
> Reported by: Alexander ("Sasha") Vainshtein <alexander.vainshtein@ecitele.com>
>
> Section: 7.2
>
> Original Text
> -------------
>     The network node that advertised the Node Segment ID is responsible
>     for generating a FEC Stack Change sub-TLV with the Post Office
>     Protocol (POP) operation type for the Node Segment ID, regardless of
>     whether or not Penultimate Hop Popping (PHP) is enabled.
>

> Corrected Text
> --------------
>     The network node that advertised the Node Segment ID is responsible
>     for generating a FEC Stack Change sub-TLV with the   POP) operation type for
>     the Node Segment ID, regardless of whether or not Penultimate Hop Popping
>     (PHP) is enabled.

FURTHER CORRECTED TEXT

    The network node which advertised the Node Segment ID is responsible
    for generating a FEC Stack Change sub-TLV with pop operation type for
    Node Segment ID, regardless of whether penultimate hop popping (PHP)
    is enabled or not.

It should also be noted that the the next paragraph also have the same
issue.

CURRENT TEXT

    The network node that is immediately downstream of the node that
    advertised the Adjacency Segment ID is responsible for generating the
    FEC Stack Change sub-TLV for POP operation for the Adjacency Segment
    ID.

CORRECTED TEXT

    The network node that is immediate downstream of the node which
    advertised the Adjacency Segment ID is responsible for generating FEC
    Stack Change sub-TLV for pop operation for Adjacency Segment ID.

Notes
-----
The "pop" in pop operation is not an abbreviation or acronym, it is is
the name of the operation type, the other operation type is "push".

I recommend that this Errata is held waiting for a future revision of
the RFC.

/Loa

--

My mail server it under a DOS attack, we are working to fix it but it
may take some time.

Loa Andersson                        email: loa@pi.nu
Senior MPLS Expert
Bronze Dragon Consulting             phone: +46 739 81 21 64