Re: [mpls] I-D Action: draft-xu-mpls-payload-protocol-identifier-00.txt

Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com> Tue, 08 October 2013 08:16 UTC

From: Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com>
To: "Andrew G. Malis" <agmalis@gmail.com>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 08:15:56 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.98.134]
Subject: Re: [mpls] I-D Action: draft-xu-mpls-payload-protocol-identifier-00.txt

Hi Andy,

Sorry for my late response due to a long National Day holiday.

First of all, thanks a lot for your comments. I agree that using a PW is a way of identifying the MPLS payload type. However, just for the purpose of using the EtherType field in the Ethernet header, it requires to establish a full mesh of P2P PWs between PE routers in addition to adding a 14-byte-long fake Ethernet header to each MPLS packet. Doesn't it seem a bit heavy-weight, in the case where the number of PE routers is huge enough that [RFC4447] signaling is not suitable anymore for setting up the PW?

Best regards,
Xiaohu