Subject: Re: [mpls] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp-04.txt> (Encapsulating MPLS in UDP) to Proposed Standard
From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], Gregory Mirsky <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 09:35:01 +0000
List-Id: Multi-Protocol Label Switching WG <mpls.ietf.org>

On 13/01/2014 05:13, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Monday, January 13, 2014 03:30:04 AM Gregory Mirsky
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Mark,
>> if by "provisioning" you mean "mapped to", "assigned",
>> then what about IP addresses? Ain't they pre-provisioned
>> as well? Or these are native properties of NEs?
> The path that two successive IP packets take to get from
> point A to B, in an MPLS-free network, can be arbitrary.
It can be arbitrary, but the router designers try rather hard
to make sure that flows follow the same path. This is because
the transport protocols in the hosts complain if the routers
introduce misordering.  Remove that constraint and the
forwarders become a lot simpler and we can do all sorts
of anti-PM in the network.

Stewart