Re: [mpls] Comments on draft-andersson-mpls-mna-fwk-01

"Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com> Sat, 28 May 2022 08:21 UTC

From: "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
To: Tony Li <tony.li@tony.li>
CC: "draft-andersson-mpls-mna-fwk@ietf.org" <draft-andersson-mpls-mna-fwk@ietf.org>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 08:21:40 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.48.171.201]
Subject: Re: [mpls] Comments on draft-andersson-mpls-mna-fwk-01

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your prompt reply, and the effort of making some changes in the updated version.

The remaining comments I see are mainly about the following aspects:

1.      Concepts and terminologies

-        Network Action vs forwarding action. Since this document introduces the concept “network actions”, and it says network action is more general than forwarding action, I’m not sure the concept “forwarding action” needs to be defined here, actually it is only mentioned in the introduction. I’d suggest to just introduce one new concept (network action) instead of two.

-        Ancillary data. The major question is: are the network actions without further parameters considered as ancillary data? This was recorded as one of the comments to the requirement document, and this document shows that inconsistency understanding of this basic concept could result in different interpretation of other terminologies. Thus I’d suggest the DT and the WG to have further review and discussion about the definition and the scope of ancillary data.

-        Network Action Sub-stack Indicator (NSI) and MNA label. These terms are used to refer to the indicator of the network action sub-stack. However, there is no clear text about whether they can indicate the existence of PSD or not. In the framework a general term for the indicator of the ancillary data (either ISD or PSD) is needed.

2.      Considerations about ISD and PSD in the framework

According to the recent DT and mail list discussion, it seems the consensus is that the framework and solution need to include the mechanism for carrying PSD. Whether ISD is needed in the framework and the specific solutions is still under discussion. Thus it is suggested the framework document align with the DT’s discussion on this point: have some text to indicate that PSD is the necessary component of the framework. For the text about ISD, it is suggested to indicate ISD is an optional component, and for some solutions ISD may not be used.

3.      Changes to MPLS forwarding/processing

The potential changes introduced by MNA to MPLS architecture is not only in the data plane encoding, but also in the forwarding and processing behaviors. This is especially the case for the processing of the ISD data. IMO this is one of the most important things the framework should cover. There is a placeholder section on the development of MPLS forwarding model, the processing of the indicator, the ISD and/or PSD data based on MPLS forwarding model needs to be specified.

4.      Incorporation of related existing work

One of the comments I made is that draft-song-mpls-eh-indicator describes the alternatives of the indicator of the extension header. Please note that most of that text is about general analysis and comparison, and is not specific to any solution (i.e. not PSD only). Thus incorporation of such text would be helpful to this framework document.

Another existing work which may be incorporated is draft-andersson-mpls-eh-architecture, which describes the architecture of MPLS extension header. Some of the text in that document may be reused for the description of the PSD part, and some text may even be generic for both ISD and PSD.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Jie