Re: [mpls] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-registries-update-08: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Wed, 17 February 2021 15:52 UTC

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 07:51:59 -0800
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, mpls@ietf.org, draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-registries-update@ietf.org, mpls-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-registries-update-08: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Loa,

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 02:53:07PM +0800, Loa Andersson wrote:
> Benjamin,
>
> Tnx for review and suggestions.
>
> Response to the Discuss. I'm a bit embarrassed over table 22, I don't
> what happened.
>
> On 17/02/2021 12:40, Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker wrote:
> > Benjamin Kaduk has entered the following ballot position for
> > draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-registries-update-08: Discuss
> >
> > When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to
> > all email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to
> > cut this introductory paragraph, however.)
> >

> > Please refer to
> > https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html for more
> > information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.
> >

> > The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
> > https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-registries-update/

> DISCUSS:
> >
> >  A few super-boring inconsistencies that make the document unfit to
> > publish as-is but should be mostly trivial to resolve ((3) and (4)
> > might be a little tedious but should be mechanical):
> >
> > (1) Section 3.3.1 says:
> >
> > be silently dropped if not recognized.  The code points for
> > experimental use are taken from the ranges previously called 'Vendor
> > Private Use', the remainder of which now form part of 'RFC
> > Required'.
> >
> > but I don't think this sentence matches what's proposed in Section 6.
> > I am seeing the code points for experimental use coming out of the
> > range that is currently described as "specification required", with
> > the entirety of the range currently described as "vendor private use"
> > being converted to FCFS.
>
> Yes you are right, this was a late change because taking the
> "Experimental Use" code point from "RFC Required" made sure that we did
> not have any collisions with code points in use.
>
> Would the following be OK?
>
> NEW
>       be silently dropped if not recognized.  The code points for
>       experimental use are taken from the ranges previously (RFC
>       8029) called 'Specification Required' and (RFC 8611) "RFC
>       Required".

I think so, thanks.

> > (2) Section 4.1 says:
> >
> > Mandatory and optional are used to indicate whether a response is
> > needed if a TLV or sub-TLV is not understood on pages 14 and 15 in
> > Section 3 of RFC 8029.
> >
> > but I think the text being modified is on pages 15 and 16 of RFC
> > 8029 (the page numbers are in the footer, not the header, of the
> > plain text output format).
>
> My mistake, will change  to:
>
> NEW:
>       Mandatory and optional are used to indicate whether a response is
>       needed if a TLV or sub-TLV is not understood on pages 15 and 16 in
>       Section 3 of RFC 8029.

+1

> > (3) Section 6.2.3 describes changes to the procedures for the
> > Sub-TLVs for TLV 6 sub-registry, but the changes described assume
> > that the registration procedures are as described by RFC 8029.
> > However, the registration procedures have already been changed by RFC
> > 8611, so the changes described no longer make sense.  (E.g., there is
> > not currently a "specification required" procedure active for any
> > range of this sub-registry.)  We do, however, still need to make some
> > changes to the registration procedures, specifically to convert the
> > "Private Use" ranges to FCFS and carve out the "Experimental Use"
> > blocks.
>
> If I read this correctly the one thing we need to do is to remove one
> bullet:
>

>     o  The "Specification Required" registration procedure has been
>        changed to "RFC Required", the comment "Experimental RFC Required"
>        has been removed.

I don't think that's quite everything; we also want.

OLD:
   o  The code points registration procedure "Vendor Private Use" has
      been removed and replaced with "First Come, First Served" code
      points.
NEW:
   o  The code points registration procedure "Private Use" has
      been removed and replaced with "First Come, First Served" code
      points.

On a quick look the other points should be okay, but I haven't had my
morning coffee yet :)

> > (4) Table 22 (for Sub-TLVs for TLV 27 Assignments) seems to be a copy
> > of Table 20 and does not reflect the current state of the
> > sub-registry in question.
>
> Table 22 should look like this:
>
> NEW
>
>     +-------------+---------------+-----------------+-------------------+
>     | Type        | TLV Name      | Reference       | Comment           |
>     +-------------+---------------+-----------------+-------------------+
>     | 0           | Reserved      | [RFC7555]       |                   |

I think 7759 is the existing reference, not 7555.

>     | 1-99        | Unassigned    | EQ              | EQ                |
>     | 100-104     | EQ            | EQ              | EQ                |
>     | 105-199     | Unassigned    |                 |                   |
>     | 200-202     | EQ            | EQ              | EQ                |
>     | 203-299     | Unassigned    |                 |                   |
>     | 300         | EQ            | EQ              | EQ                |
>     | 301-399     | Unassigned    |                 |                   |
>     | 400         | EQ            | EQ              | EQ                |
>     | 401-31739   | Unassigned    |                 |                   |
>     | 31740-31743 | Experimental  | This Document   | Reserved, not to  |
>     |             | Use           |                 | be assigned. This |
>     |             |               |                 | range is for sub- |
>     |             |               |                 | TLVs that require |
>     |             |               |                 | an error message  |
>     |             |               |                 | if not            |
>     |             |               |                 | recognized. [This |
>     |             |               |                 | document, section |
>     |             |               |                 | 3.1]              |
>     | 31744-64507 | Unassigned    |                 |                   |
>     | 64508-64511 | Experimental  | This document   | Reserved, not to  |
>     |             | Use           |                 | be assigned       |

(My generic comment about the "comment" column for the 64508-64511 range
would apply here as well, but please defer dealing with/responding about
that until you get to those comments.)

>     | 64512-65535 | Unassigned    |                 |                   |
>
>                   Table 22: Sub-TLVs for TLV 27 Assignments
>
> If you can ack today I will update before the IESG meeting. I will also
> according to the nits.

Sounds good.

> Thanks for a good review and the support in "Comment".

Happy to help.

-Ben