Re: [mpls] Clarification on the motivation of draft-xu-spring-islands-connection-over-ip-05

<bruno.decraene@orange.com> Wed, 03 August 2016 10:33 UTC

From: bruno.decraene@orange.com
To: Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2016 10:33:26 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.5]
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, "spring@ietf.org" <spring@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] Clarification on the motivation of draft-xu-spring-islands-connection-over-ip-05

Xiaohu,

> From: spring [mailto:spring-bounces@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Xuxiaohu > Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 10:54 AM
>
> Hi MPLS WG and SPRING WG,
>
> I have been told by many people that connecting MPLS segment routing (SR) islands/nodes
> over IP as described in (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-spring-islands-connection-over-
> ip-05) is very useful for the incremental deployment of MPLS SR. However, the remote
> label distribution peer mode for MPLS SR (which is used for connecting MPLS SR
> islands/nodes) conflicts with RFC3031 (see Section 3.22. Lack of Outgoing Label). I
> discussed with Bruno (SPRPING WG co-chair) offline about the next step of this draft at
> IETF96. he suggested that it'd better to update RFC3031 so as to take the remote label
> distribution peer mode for MPLS SR into account.

I think that you are referring to a private conversation that we had during the Bits-N-Bites, Thursday evening. To be clear, on my side, I assumed that this was a private conversation over a few beers. (and thanks Juniper for the beers).

Then, this is not what I said.

Coming back to the technical point:
First of all, it's not clear to me what, according to you, is missing in the current IETF specifications, to allow for your use case.
- On the data plane standpoint, multiple forms of IP tunnels are capable of carrying MPLS packets. Presumably to be able to send MPLS packets between MPLS nodes which are not adjacent but separated by IP routers. Do we agree on this, or is something missing?
- On the control plane standpoint, the draft is very light on this, but according to the discussion, both tunnels end-points are MPLS segment routing capable and advertise their labels (index) in the IGP. So we do have the labels of the IP tunnel egress/remote end point. Is there something missing?
- On the specification standpoint, your draft is informational, so is not going to change an existing standard track document.

So it looks like to me that you could locally do what you want, e.g. assume that the IP tunnel is a virtual MPLS link/shortcut to the egress (even though not advertised in the IGP), and send the MPLS SR packet over that tunnel.

Then you replied that, even if it's a local behavior, a MPLS RFC prohibited this. Then I replied that this looks like a work for the MPLS WG. e.g. if a MPLS RFC prohibits this behavior, you need to discuss this in the MPLS WG, and if needed, have this MPLS RFC updated.

> I would like to hear more suggestions
> and comments from MPLS and SPRING WGs on the necessity of RFC3031bis

IMHO this part seems primarily for the MPLS WG

> and the best way to standardize the remote label distribution peer mode for MPLS SR.

IMHO this part seems primarily for the SPRING WG.

MPLS SR uses routing protocols to advertise labels, more specifically link state IGP (OSPF, IS-IS) or BGP. Can you elaborate on what is missing? Again, the draft is light on this (to say the least). According to our discussion, nodes share the same IGP, hence they should already have the labels. In all cases, your half-page draft is not proposing something new on the label distribution standpoint.

Regards,
--Bruno