Re: [mpls] AD review of draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-hsmp

"Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk> Sun, 17 November 2013 22:16 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
To: 'Loa Andersson' <loa@pi.nu>, draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-hsmp.all@tools.ietf.org
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 22:16:19 -0000
Cc: mpls@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls] AD review of draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-hsmp

The very next line from the one you quote says...

   In the following list of
   abbreviations, those that are usually (but not necessarily) treated as
   "well known" are marked with asterisks.

Thus, anything not marked with an asterisk in the list at
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc-style-guide/abbrev.expansion.txt may be regarded
as "not well known" and need expansion.

In particular, it is not only the reader that you need to worry about, but also
the RFC Editor. If you are asking that the RFC Editor should expand these
acronyms for you, they need to know what you intend the expansion to be and they
of, course, have no insight on the technology to guide them. The alternative to
the authors expanding the acronyms now is a series of email exchanges during the
edit process where the RFC Editor questions the authors about what they meant.

There is also a risk here that the RFC Editor will use the wrong expansion and
it will be missed in Auth48. Perhaps the best example in the Routing Area is
"LSP".

Cheers,
Adrian