Re: [mpls] Comments on draft draft-cheng-mpls-inband-pm-encapsulation

Giuseppe Fioccola <giuseppe.fioccola@huawei.com> Mon, 18 November 2019 09:16 UTC

From: Giuseppe Fioccola <giuseppe.fioccola@huawei.com>
To: Greg Mirsky <gregimirsky@gmail.com>, Rakesh Gandhi <rgandhi.ietf@gmail.com>
CC: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, "draft-cheng-mpls-inband-pm-encapsulation@ietf.org" <draft-cheng-mpls-inband-pm-encapsulation@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 09:16:49 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.52.42.109]
Subject: Re: [mpls] Comments on draft draft-cheng-mpls-inband-pm-encapsulation

Hi All,
I agree with Greg. And there are at least 3 big differences between IOAM/IOAM-DEX and Alternate Marking:
1) IOAM/IOAM-DEX is a packet level monitoring while Alternate Marking is a flow monitoring solution
2) IOAM/IOAM-DEX introduces a new encapsulation while Alternate Marking can be encapsulated more easily and with less overhead (e.g. dedicated bits or TLV)
3) IOAM/IOAM-DEX architecture is more static (i.e. data specified by the IOAM-Trace-Type are exported by the nodes) while Alternate Marking includes a dynamic approach and can be adapted to the network conditions (i.e. draft-ietf-ippm-multipoint-alt-mark)

Best Regards,

Giuseppe