Subject: Re: [mpls] wg last call on gach-adv and ethernet-addressing drafts
From: Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
To: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, MPLS-TP ad hoc team <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 17:16:14 -0400
List-Id: Multi-Protocol Label Switching WG <mpls.ietf.org>

My Last Call comments on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ethernet-addressing-01

In general, this draft is nearly ready for publishing as an RFC.
There are issues the working group and authors should consider.

Major Issue:

This is listed here because I am uncertain of the degree to which
this may be a major or minor issue.

The issue is with the inclusion of MTU as a discoverable parameter
(Section 4).

One reason for using a protocol other than LLDP to discover the
Ethernet MAC address of an adjacent LSR, is where a physical link
may include one or more intermediate bridges.

If this is the case, and LLDP is not in use, then the MTU of the
Ethernet end-stations (the peer/adjacent LSRs) may not be useful,
since the intervening bridges could conceivably have a lower MTU.

Minor Issues:

IANA Considerations -

Why do the authors create yet another registry for IANA to maintain,
instead of using TLVs (with type numbers taken from the regitry that
was created in the GAP specification - from which this draft already
takes a new application identifier)?

This appears to set a very nasty precedent: each new application ID
specified from an IANA registry may establish a new registry.  Does
IANA have the head-room for this?

NITs:

IANA Considerations -

Not sure why section 6.1 is included.  There is no action required 
of IANA here, AFAICT.  Minimally, the authors should explicitly
state that no further action is required from IANA by this section.

--
Eric Gray

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Loa Andersson
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:00 PM
To: [email-masked]; MPLS-TP ad hoc team
Subject: [mpls] wg last call on gach-adv and ethernet-addressing drafts

Working Group,

This is to start a two week working group last call on two drafts:

- draft-ietf-mpls-gach-adv-02; and
- draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ethernet-addressing-01

Please send comments to the mpls working group list.

The working group last call ends June 15, 2012.

Thanks, Loa

(as MPLS WG co-chair)

-- 

Loa Andersson                         email: [email-masked]
Sr Strategy and Standards Manager            [email-masked]
Ericsson Inc                          phone: +46 10 717 52 13
                                              +46 767 72 92 13
_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls