Re: [mpls] Clarification on the motivation of draft-xu-spring-islands-connection-over-ip-05

Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com> Wed, 06 April 2016 23:57 UTC

From: Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com>
To: Eric C Rosen <erosen@juniper.net>, "spring@ietf.org" <spring@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2016 23:56:55 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.212.197.116]
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] Clarification on the motivation of draft-xu-spring-islands-connection-over-ip-05

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for your comments. Your observation is correct that I'm  positing a case where two nodes are in the same IGP domain, and same SPRING domain, but there is no LSP that can be used to
transport packets from one to the other.

One particular use case in mind is the MPLS-SR based service function chaining where the service function path is represented by a stack of labels (see https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-sfc-using-mpls-spring). In other words, the SFC encapsulation header is realized in the form of an MPLS label stack. One of the major requirement for the SFC encapsulation header is transport-independancy. That means the SFC encapsulation header in the form of an MPLS label stack should be able to be transported over IP networks. To meet the above requirement, one MPLS-SR node (e.g., service classifier or SFF) should be able to forward a received MPLS packet to another MPLS-SR node (e.g., SFF) which is indicated by the top label of the received packet via an IP-based tunnel, when the IGP next-hop towards the latter MPLS-SR node is a non-MPLS node.

Best regards,
Xiaohu