Re: [mpls] RtgDir review: draft-ietf-mpls-sfc-04.txt

Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com> Mon, 07 January 2019 03:51 UTC

From: Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com>
To: "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, "rtg-ads@ietf.org" <rtg-ads@ietf.org>
CC: "rtg-dir@ietf.org" <rtg-dir@ietf.org>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-mpls-sfc.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-mpls-sfc.all@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 03:51:34 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.194.201]
Subject: Re: [mpls] RtgDir review: draft-ietf-mpls-sfc-04.txt

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your reply!

See some response inline...

If so, it's better to add some text to clarify this. Given the current text, it implies that it could be determined just by matching the SPI/SI.

> > In addition, how does an SFF apply the swap and/or pop operations here.
> E.g., when an SFF looks up the SPI,
> > it matches an item in a local table; what operation (swap or pop) will
> apply to the SPI label? According to " The
> > packet is forwarded to SFa unmodified." It seems implies that there is
> > no
> any operation will be applied. If so,
> > this will not align with the MPLS.
>
> I think you should also look at this in the manner of a L3VPN. That is, the top
> label is popped to derive the context, the forwarding label is looked up
> within the context and swapped, and the context label is re-imposed as the
> packet is forwarded.
>
> Of course, there are optimisations on how an SFF might implement this, but
> we don't need to describe those. What we know is that the VPN-like
> approach can be made to work with existing PEs.

As above, it's better to add some text to make it clearer.

> > If the above issues exist, the " context/SF" case has the similar issues.
>
> Hope I have explained why this is not an issue.
>
> Now, we could debate why we have not made these answers more clear in
> the text.
> The first thing is that we are not trying to make any changes to the
> architecture used for NSH, so we did not feel we should go into explanations
> about how the SF/SFF relationship works.
> Additionally, we did not feel that (beyond the short section 14) we should tell
> people how to implement. The purpose of the document is to describe wire
> formats.

IMHO, it may not be enough if just describing the wire formats, the operations/process on the "formats" are necessary to make it an implementable and interoperable protocol.

Although Section 13 is listed as a worked example, I personally think that they are necessary procedures. I'd suggest to change it to more "formal" section, e.g., Procedures.

Best regards,
Mach