Re: [mpls] working group adoption poll on draft-sitaraman-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels

"Tarek Saad (tsaad)" <tsaad@cisco.com> Wed, 01 November 2017 22:45 UTC

Return-Path: <tsaad@cisco.com>
X-Original-To: mpls@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: mpls@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id D504013FF15; Wed, 1 Nov 2017 15:45:18 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -14.52
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-14.52 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_HI=-5, RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H3=-0.01, RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_WL=-0.01, SPF_PASS=-0.001, URIBL_BLOCKED=0.001, USER_IN_DEF_DKIM_WL=-7.5] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Authentication-Results: ietfa.amsl.com (amavisd-new); dkim=pass (1024-bit key) header.d=cisco.com
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id vbSxvQCYsKkV; Wed, 1 Nov 2017 15:45:17 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from alln-iport-6.cisco.com (alln-iport-6.cisco.com [173.37.142.93]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher DHE-RSA-SEED-SHA (128/128 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 09E5913F626; Wed, 1 Nov 2017 15:45:16 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=cisco.com; i=@cisco.com; l=11250; q=dns/txt; s=iport; t=1509576317; x=1510785917; h=from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:references: in-reply-to:content-id:content-transfer-encoding: mime-version; bh=CEzZ0G3TW4ExFCG6yP30l6SJZOWTKG3mFpu82ZMwbj0=; b=b0ZsxXxrsqe33fihh/o1G9VScvEa/+PpGujnonmSIZbMwt3U3mtjaqNp jXLFCsrTWzDnl4jlvh50IjvybJzSvZqQRlpKpxYqBioO7uRn0XX5G3ADk hvsx/6iW+C+CRxu+nOnsdcFLiRuulWMCywQ9f8JpqNaRm5TfnCpF491aP I=;
X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered: true
X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Result: =?us-ascii?q?A0CWAQAyTvpZ/51dJa1cGQEBAQEBAQEBA?= =?us-ascii?q?QEBBwEBAQEBg19kbicHg3aZN4F8iFCQBQoYC4UYAhqEZkMUAQIBAQEBAQEBayi?= =?us-ascii?q?FHQEBAQECAQEBIRE6CwwEAgEIEQECAQIBAgImAgICHwYLFQIGCAIEDgUbiXADD?= =?us-ascii?q?QgQqQ2CJ4c9DYNIAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEBGAWBD4IfggeBU4FoASm?= =?us-ascii?q?BdIENgmqCBwEBHhcPgm8vgjIFoU48ApABhHmCFYYBhASHFoosgm2ITQIRGQGBO?= =?us-ascii?q?AE2IYFsehUfKi0BgjaCXBwZgU53ikGBJIERAQEB?=
X-IronPort-AV: E=Sophos;i="5.44,331,1505779200"; d="scan'208";a="24883964"
Received: from rcdn-core-6.cisco.com ([173.37.93.157]) by alln-iport-6.cisco.com with ESMTP/TLS/DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384; 01 Nov 2017 22:44:55 +0000
Received: from XCH-RTP-004.cisco.com (xch-rtp-004.cisco.com [64.101.220.144]) by rcdn-core-6.cisco.com (8.14.5/8.14.5) with ESMTP id vA1MisJR008449 (version=TLSv1/SSLv3 cipher=AES256-SHA bits=256 verify=FAIL); Wed, 1 Nov 2017 22:44:54 GMT
Received: from xch-rtp-001.cisco.com (64.101.220.141) by XCH-RTP-004.cisco.com (64.101.220.144) with Microsoft SMTP Server (TLS) id 15.0.1320.4; Wed, 1 Nov 2017 18:44:53 -0400
Received: from xch-rtp-001.cisco.com ([64.101.220.141]) by XCH-RTP-001.cisco.com ([64.101.220.141]) with mapi id 15.00.1320.000; Wed, 1 Nov 2017 18:44:53 -0400
From: "Tarek Saad (tsaad)" <tsaad@cisco.com>
To: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
CC: Vishnu Pavan Beeram <vishnupavan@gmail.com>, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, "<rtg-ads@ietf.org>" <rtg-ads@ietf.org>, "draft-sitaraman-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels@ietf.org" <draft-sitaraman-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels@ietf.org>, "mpls-chairs@ietf.org" <mpls-chairs@ietf.org>
Thread-Topic: [mpls] working group adoption poll on draft-sitaraman-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels
Thread-Index: AQHTRP/85dbX584W+UCxGY2NWgHlMaLnBSgAgAq3T4CABtXlAIAGMjKAgAG6kQA=
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 22:44:53 +0000
Message-ID: <A367BFC0-E426-456A-98ED-E37DF9FF027B@cisco.com>
References: <1872ff72-845f-4b85-11a5-f00123223fb5@pi.nu> <2d0dd3b5-1fb9-1435-a1f7-0d04ff98ad49@labn.net> <CA+YzgTutss04yaM2XQ7kti1ja0cwwmKkhZXaCOnFgkvWkYaeNg@mail.gmail.com> <a95540be-9e15-a5dd-a4e6-e6316fc008c2@labn.net> <CA+YzgTvczagArspbWKcSZdj6fymZMSmkitffBpwfKOchHn3-Cg@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <CA+YzgTvczagArspbWKcSZdj6fymZMSmkitffBpwfKOchHn3-Cg@mail.gmail.com>
Accept-Language: en-US
Content-Language: en-US
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
user-agent: Microsoft-MacOutlook/f.27.0.171010
x-ms-exchange-messagesentrepresentingtype: 1
x-ms-exchange-transport-fromentityheader: Hosted
x-originating-ip: [10.86.255.53]
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Content-ID: <3C692D3597459A4CBAE22E651242D651@emea.cisco.com>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
MIME-Version: 1.0
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/mpls/FWHEzEb9DcZ8SCAUYGMzyeEzGX4>
Subject: Re: [mpls] working group adoption poll on draft-sitaraman-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels
X-BeenThere: mpls@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.22
Precedence: list
List-Id: Multi-Protocol Label Switching WG <mpls.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/mpls>, <mailto:mpls-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/mpls/>
List-Post: <mailto:mpls@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:mpls-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls>, <mailto:mpls-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 22:45:19 -0000

Hi all,

I support this work (as co-author) and I see its utility in deployments where RSVP and segment-routing will/can interwork to provide a distributed traffic-engineering solution.
With respect to label terminology used in the current draft, authors had a short discussion and we agreed to align with terminology used in "draft-ietf-spring-segment-routing" for adjacency and binding segment labels so to minimize confusion. This will be clarified in a subsequent update to the document.

Regards,
Tarek
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Vishnu Pavan Beeram <vishnupavan@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 4:20 PM
To: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
Cc: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>nu>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>rg>, "<rtg-ads@ietf.org>" <rtg-ads@ietf.org>rg>, "draft-sitaraman-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels@ietf.org" <draft-sitaraman-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels@ietf.org>rg>, "mpls-chairs@ietf.org" <mpls-chairs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] working group adoption poll on draft-sitaraman-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels
Resent-From: <alias-bounces@ietf.org>
Resent-To: <hsitaraman@juniper.net>et>, <vbeeram@juniper.net>et>, <tejal.parikh@verizon.com>om>, Tarek Saad <tsaad@cisco.com>
Resent-Date: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 4:20 PM

    Lou, Hi!
    
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Please see inline.
    
    Regards,
    -Pavan
    
    On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 5:43 PM, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net> wrote:
    > Hi Pavan,
    >         Sorry about the delayed response.  See below.
    >
    > On 10/23/2017 09:20 AM, Vishnu Pavan Beeram wrote:
    >> Lou, Hi!
    >>
    >> Thanks for reviewing this. Please see inline (prefixed VPB) for responses.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> -Pavan
    >>
    >>
    >> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net> wrote:
    >>> Hi Loa,
    >>>
    >>>     I have some technical concerns about this document that IMO need to
    >>> be addressed. I think addressing them before adoption would be best but
    >>> is certainly not the only option:
    >>>
    >>> - The document is completely silent on the impact of shared labels on TE
    >>> bandwidth/tspec/rspec related processing.  Clearly there is some no
    >>> inconsequential impact and this needs to be covered.
    >>
    >> [VPB] We will add some text in the next version explaining the mapping
    >> between a shared label and the corresponding bandwidth-reservations.
    >> Implementations that maintain per-label bandwidth accounting at each
    >> hop must aggregate the reservations made for all the LSPs using the
    >> shared-label.
    >
    >> Note that using a shared pop-label (albeit a special
    >> label) along the path of an MPLS RSVP LSP is nothing new. Signaling
    >> for PHP LSPs (we can signal 1-hop PHP LSPs as well) is done today
    >> without any special changes to the tspec/flowspec processing at the
    >> penultimate hop. The only difference now (with the changes proposes in
    >> the draft) is that a pop-label can be used at any given hop along the
    >> path of the LSP.
    >
    > I think sharing in the middle of the network, and potentially onto other
    > hierarchical labels, is a bid different -- this said I think your first
    > couple of sentences above are right on the mark.
    >
    
    [Pavan] Ack. We'll add relevant text to the next version as indicated.
    
    >>
    >>>
    >>> - The definition of ' pop and forward tunnel' is a circular at best  (it
    >>> references  'pop and forward labels' which are not defined at all.)  --
    >>> I think I understand what the draft is trying to do, but how do I really
    >>> know that my interpretation is right without a formal definition.  On an
    >>> aside, I think the use of 'pop label' is a poor choice as we'll have an
    >>> architecture that allows for a node to 'pop labels' (i.e., the operation
    >>> defined in RCF3031) and a new RFC that adds 'pop labels' which are
    >>> labels whose value indicates that the node should pop the label and
    >>> forwarded out the interface indicated in the label. BTW this functions
    >>> seems similar to egress control discussed in rfc4003.
    >>
    >>
    >> [VPB] Please see if the following tweaks to the terminology section
    >> (remove the “verb” vs “noun” ambiguity) address the above concerns.
    >> We’ll fix all occurrences of these terms in the rest of the document.
    >>
    >> **
    >> A pop-label:   An incoming label at an LSR that will be popped by the
    >> LSR with the packet being forwarded over a specific outgoing TE link
    >> to a neighbor.
    >
    > How about just avoiding the well established verb altogether? Perhaps
    > "interface label", "TE link label" or even "shared label"?
    >
    
    [Pavan] We (the authors) aren't too particular about the terms that
    are currently being used in the document. We will be ok with whatever
    terms the WG agrees upon. Personally, I think the terms pop-label and
    swap-label make the operational intent explicit and help make the
    document a better read. That said, I would be ok with "TE link label".
    
    
    >>
    >> A swap-label:   An incoming label at a LSR that will be swapped to an
    >> outgoing label with the packet being forwarded over a specific
    >> outgoing TE link to a neighbor.
    >
    > isn't this just a "label"?
    >
    
    [Pavan] Yes, this is just the traditional swap-label. There are
    several places in the document where we refer to this type of label --
    so it seemed useful to define a "term" for this at the beginning and
    use it in the rest of the document.
    
    >>
    >> RSVP-TE pop-and-forward tunnel:   An MPLS RSVP-TE tunnel that requests
    >> the use of a pop-label on every hop of the LSP.
    >>
    > I think we can circle back to this after resolving pop-label.  I do
    > think your title is clear and perhaps there's something that can serve
    > as a short hand of that, maybe "Shared Forwarding TE-Tunnel" or "Segment
    > Routing TE Tunnel"?
    >
    >> Pop-and-forward data plane:   A forwarding plane where every
    >> participating LSR uses pop-labels on every LSP.
    >> **
    > I have the same basic comment here as the previous one.
    >
    >>
    >>>
    >>> - In writing this mail, it occurs to me that the addition of this
    >>> function is really an update to RFC3031 defined function and those
    >>> changes should be explicitly and formally described.
    >>
    >> [VPB] I believe what you are saying is that the “forward” aspect in
    >> “pop-and-forward” is not discussed in RFC3031. And hence, the need to
    >> formally update RFC3031. We (the authors) would be ok with whatever
    >> the WG deems fit in this regard.
    >
    > I think the draft needs to document how the defined operations fit into
    > 3031 or how they extend / update 3031.
    >
    
    
    > Lou
    >
    >>
    >>>
    >>> Lou
    >>>
    >>> On 10/14/2017 11:20 AM, Loa Andersson wrote:
    >>>> Working Group,
    >>>>
    >>>> This is to start a two week poll on adopting
    >>>> draft-sitaraman-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels-02 as a MPLS working group document.
    >>>>
    >>>> Please send your comments (support/not support) to the mpls working
    >>>> group mailing list (mpls@ietf.org). Please give a technical
    >>>> motivation for your support/not support, especially if you think that
    >>>> the document should not be adopted as a working group document.
    >>>>
    >>>> There are three IPR disclosures (though one disclosure seems to be an
    >>>> update) against this document.
    >>>>
    >>>> All the authors have stated on the MPLS wg mailing list that they are
    >>>> unaware of any other IPRs that those that has been disclosed
    >>>>
    >>>> The working group adoption poll ends October 29, 2017.
    >>>>
    >>>> /Loa
    >>>> mpls wg co-chair
    >>>
    >>> _______________________________________________
    >>> mpls mailing list
    >>> mpls@ietf.org
    >>> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls
    >>
    >