Re: [mpls] working group last call on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-mfp-use-case-and-requirements

"BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A" <db3546@att.com> Thu, 06 October 2016 16:00 UTC

From: "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A" <db3546@att.com>
To: Rolf Winter <Rolf.Winter@neclab.eu>, Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2016 15:59:33 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.70.152.93]
Cc: "mpls-chairs@ietf.org" <mpls-chairs@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-mpls-tp-mfp-use-case-and-requirements@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-mpls-tp-mfp-use-case-and-requirements@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] working group last call on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-mfp-use-case-and-requirements

Hi,

I agree with Loa on this is not an update of RFC5654. RFC5654 is a document reflecting ITU-T requirements for MPLS-TP. This draft is not a result of a request by ITU-T.

The document is building on RFC6372, but it doesn't necessarily "update" RFC6372. RFC6372 covers a wide range of mechanisms. An implementer of RFC6372 does not have to also implement this document unless they want to support this extra capability. So this capability is not required for any of those existing requirements, it's only needed if one wants this capability, so the requirements can stand on their own. Note, RFC6372 did not update RFC5654.

I'm recommending to hold this document in the WG until a solution document is initiated. By doing a solution document, it will help determine if these requirements and the resulting solution are an update for any of the existing solution documents.

As the document only has two requirements, it can be part of an appendix to a solution document. PCE recently did such a document:
https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-pce-pcep-service-aware-13.txt

Of more concern, I've not seen any mailing list discussion on this document or any solution document proposed indicating interest by the WG, I strongly encourage the list be used as progress a solution document. Working in parallel on requirements and a solution is always the best approach. Requirements documents do not need to be published as RFCs, especially these very short type of documents. The IETF Chair summarized this in his May blog on the IESG retreat:
https://www.ietf.org/blog/2016/05/

Thanks,
Deborah