Re: [mpls] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-lag-multipath-06: (with COMMENT)

Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Wed, 13 March 2019 09:51 UTC

From: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 10:51:22 +0100
Cc: Mirja Kühlewind via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-lag-multipath@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-lag-multipath@ietf.org>, "mpls-chairs@ietf.org" <mpls-chairs@ietf.org>, "loa@pi.nu" <loa@pi.nu>
To: Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [mpls] Mirja Kühlewind's No Objection on draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-lag-multipath-06: (with COMMENT)

Hi Mach,

Please see below

> On 13. Mar 2019, at 10:15, Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mirja,
>
> Thanks for your comments!

In your reply to Joerg’s tsv-art review (on Dec 14 already), you proposed to add the following statement:

"For an LSP path, it may be over several LAGs. For each LAG, there will be many member links. To exercise all the links, many Echo Request/Reply messages will be sent in a short period. It's possible that those messages may traverse a common path as a burst. Under some circumstances this might cause congestion at the common path. To avoid potential congestion, it is RECOMMENDED that implementations to randomly delay the Echo Request and Reply messages at the Initiating LSRs and Responder LSRs.”

You also said:
"RFC8029 (Security Consideration) does recommend the implementation to regulate the ping traffic to the control plane, it  applies to this document as well.

At the same time, RFC 6425 (P2MP LSP Ping, section 2.2) introduces some ways to limit the message rate. The way of random delay messages would apply to this document as well.”

So adding pointer to these two documents/sections would be good as well maybe.

Thanks!
Mirja