Re: [mpls] Closing on draft-ietf-mpls-mna-requirements adoption poll comments

"Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com> Wed, 03 August 2022 10:04 UTC

From: "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
To: "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, "draft-ietf-mpls-mna-requirements@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-mpls-mna-requirements@ietf.org>
CC: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 10:04:06 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.112.40.66]
Subject: Re: [mpls] Closing on draft-ietf-mpls-mna-requirements adoption poll comments

Hi authors, Adrian and WG,

Please find some additional response to the resolution of the comments in the appendix. Thanks.

Best regards,
Jie

[Jie] This term is not used in the requirements, thus the change in abbreviation is out of scope of this document

>    3.   non-use of NAS abbreviation
>
> [AF] OK with resolution

[Jie] Agree to remove NAS from this document.

>    7.   ADI -> NAI
>
> [AF] OK with resolution

[Jie] I don't think this is fully solved. The replacement of ADI with NAI has caused the problem of mixing up the requirements on two different levels of indicators. It is good to see in the -02 version of the requirement draft, separate subsections (3.2 and 3.3) are newly created for the two levels of indicators, while the text in each subsection needs to be reviewed to make sure they align with the title of each subsection.

>    8.   Addition to section 3.1
>
>         For backward compatibility and consistency, It is suggested to
>         add the below items to section 3.1 as general requirements: a)
>         Solutions meeting the requirements set out in this document MUST
>         be compatible with existing MPLS mechanisms.  b) Solutions
>         meeting the requirements set out in this document MUST reuse
>         existing MPLS mechanisms when possible.  c) For network actions
>         which are developed or under development in IETF, the encoding
>         and processing of the network action data MUST be reused.
>
>         Ed.> Requirements 1-4 already cover points a and b.  C is
>         outside the scope of this document but we are not intending to
>         limit or prescribe anything about existing standards.

> [AF] I disagree that 3.1#1 is related to backward compatibility. It talks about
> how the resultant solution must enable the functions currently available in
> MPLS: that is not backward compatibility.
> [AF] I disagree that 3.1#2 is about backward compatibility. It talks about how
> the resultant architecture must remain generally applicable, but it does not
> talk about backward compatibility.
> [AF] I disagree that 3.1#3 is about backward compatibility. It talks about
> extensions not being incompatible with the architecture, but it does not imply
> backward compatibility.
> [AF] Item 3.1#4 might be interpreted as being about backward compatibility,
> but it is not quite clear that "coexist with" and "not obsolete" actually means
> backward compatibility. That may be the authors' intention, but backward
> compatibility would also mean that a legacy implementation encountering a
> solution to these requirements must not have an undesired response or there
> must be a way to prevent such an implementation seeing such an encounter.
>
> [AF] However, 3.3#2 and 3.3#3 do seem to cover this. So no further action.

[Jie] The comments were about 3 requirements to be added:

	a) Solutions meeting the requirements set out in this document MUST be compatible with existing MPLS mechanisms.

[Jie] As Adrian mentioned, this requirement is not reflected in current 3.1#1 to #4. Since it is a generic requirement and not only about the network action indicators, I'd suggested to add it to section 3.1.

	b) Solutions meeting the requirements set out in this document MUST reuse existing MPLS mechanisms when possible.

[Jie] I don't think this is covered by 3.1#1 to #4 either. Thus it is suggested to add it to section 3.1, probably use "SHOULD" to replace "MUST".

	c) For network actions which are developed or under development in IETF, the encoding and processing of the network action data MUST be reused.

[Jie] This is a requirement related to the network action data, thus it seems suitable to be added to section 3.4. It could also use "SHOULD" to replace "MUST".

>    9.   Action Indicators without AD
>
> [AF] OBE see #13

[Jie] The action indicator is now called NAI, not sure do we still need separate terms for NAI without data?

>    10.  AD definition
>
> [AF] OK with resolution

[Jie] I'd like to reiterate that this is a change to the semantics of ancillary data. AD was used to represent the optional data associated with an MPLS packet, Now AD is used to represent the optional data associated with a specific network action.

Personally I don' like this change as it caused confusions. At least the semantics about AD needs to be consistent throughout this document and also in other related documents.

>    11.  Optional AD?
>
> [AF] OK with resolution

[Jie] With the changes of the definition of AD, the term ISD and PSD will only cover the AD and the NAI is not included in either ISD or PSD. I'm not sure whether this is the intent, and whether this excludes the option of carrying NAIs post the stack.

>    12.  ADI and NAI are different
>
> [AF] OBE see #13

[Jie] I think people realized that the "old" ADI is different from NAI.

>    13.  Retire ADI
>
> [AF] OK with resolution

[Jie] OK, It has been replaced by two new terms.

>    16.  Common requirement to carry AD
>
> [AF] OK with resolution

[Jie] A similar requirement on post-stack data would be needed.

>    23.  Popping NAS
>
>         When you pop a stack in programming, the concept that MPLS
>         borrowed, you pop the procedure indicator and the procedure
>         parameters.  This is consistent with popping an NAS
>
>         Ed.> No action
>
> [AF] I think that what is hiding in this issue is a description of what is required
> to happen to the ancillary data when the NAI is popped.
> [AF] It looks like there is a requirement to "remove the whole block" (per
> Kireeti's presentation today). That takes care of in-stack data and the NAI.
> [AF] Something needs to be said about the post-stack data (that may be that a
> solution may choose to leave it in place or strip it or null it).

[Jie] It shows that the requirement about pushing or popping a network action needs to be further elaborated, for example, whether it MUST be consistent with the operations in RFC 3031.

>    25.  Writeable NAS
>
>         I have some further questions.  NAS is something within the
>         label stack but writable by intermediate nodes.  Is this the
>         stack operation?  Besides, if NAS emerges at ToS, you said it'll
>         be popped and discarded.  What if the NAS also needs to be
>         applied to the labels below it?  Whatever measures you will take
>         here, are those the stack operations?
>
>         Ed.> NAS has been removed.
>
> [AF] The fact that the term "NAS" has been removed is not material to this
> point. You could re-read this issues with s/NAS/NAI and in-stack AD/
>
> [AF] Thus the question is about whether actions indicated higher up the stack
> can apply to hops lower down the stack. If so, there is a need to "move" the
> NAI and in-stack AD when it gets to top of stack.
>
>    26.  The NFRR use case
>
>         I have several questions about the NFRR use case.  As I
>         understand it, a point of local repair (PLR) imposes NAS with
>         the NFRR indicator so that it becomes ToS at the merge node
>         (MN).  If that is correct, then the MN will remove the NAS with
>         the NFRR indicator as the packet is returned on the "normal"
>         path.  Hence, I don't see why an intermediate node would need to
>         write into an existing in the label stack NAS in support of
>         NFRR.
>
>         Ed.> NFRR is not discussed in this draft.
>
> [AF] The point of the comment is to understand whether there is *any*
> motivation for allowing an intermediate node to write into an existing in-stack
> NAS or insert a new one. The requirements should be motivated by use cases,
> and the comment says that this use case does not motivate this requirement.
> See also #25
>
> [AF] 3.3#1 certainly implies that NAIs and in-stack AD can be inserted by
> intermediate nodes.
>
> [AF] But see #27
>
>    27.  Intermediate node re-writing
>
>         I may not see a case for an intermediate node re-writing the
>         existing NAI.  I think that the node should impose a new NAS.  I
>         see the case for an intermediate node writing into PSD (e.g.,
>         HbH IOAM though I think that is too expensive and the IOAM
>         Direct Export or Hybrid Two-Step are a better choice).  To
>         summarize, I don't see the need for an intermediate node to
>         write into ISD and am open to discussing the node writing into
>         PSD.
>
>         Ed.> Added a requirement that network action specifications must
>         describe whether ISD can be rewritten by an intermediate node.
>
> [AF] This is 3.3#16
> [AF] But, per #26, his seems to be hiding from the debate! You have allowed
> "rewrite" without any specific use case that motivates it. Are there any
> implications of "rewrite" or does it come for free? If it's free, why do we even
> need to worry about the NA spec having to say yes or no? If there are
> implications we should call them out, and consider whether we don't actually
> [...]

[Jie] Basically this comment reflects the need to have a separate term for the bSPL to avoid it being mixed up with NAI.

>    29.  Second term needed
>
> [AF] See #30
>
>    30.  Propose text
>
> [AF] OK with resolution

[Jie] This is related to the term "NAS", which will be removed from this document.

The comment was that it has been discussed that there is possibility of having the bSPL + PSD in the packet, which cannot be covered by the term NAS.

>    31.  NAS not general enough
>
> [AF] OK with resolution

[Jie] Same as the comments to #30.