Re: [mpls] wg last call on gach-adv and ethernet-addressing drafts

t.petch <ietfc@btconnect.com> Tue, 23 October 2012 12:06 UTC

From: "t.petch" <ietfc@btconnect.com>
To: stbryant@cisco.com, Eric Gray <eric.gray@ericsson.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 13:05:19 +0100
Cc: draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ethernet-addressing@tools.iet.org, mpls@ietf.org, MPLS-TP ad hoc team <ahmpls-tp@lists.itu.int>
Subject: Re: [mpls] wg last call on gach-adv and ethernet-addressing drafts

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stewart Bryant" <stbryant@cisco.com>
To: "Eric Gray" <eric.gray@ericsson.com>
Cc: <draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ethernet-addressing@tools.iet.org>;
<mpls@ietf.org>; "MPLS-TP ad hoc team" <ahmpls-tp@lists.itu.int>
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: [mpls] wg last call on gach-adv and ethernet-addressing
drafts

Hi Eric

Early allocation is a well known process and IANA annotate the
registry entry accordingly.

In particular they set a death date for the allocation and
this is visible in the registry.

<tp>

All as decribed in RFC4020.  Interestingly, that specifies that
" IANA makes an allocation from the appropriate registry, marking it
      as "temporary", valid for a period of one year from the date of
      allocation.  The date of allocation should also be recorded in the
      registry and made visible to the public."
and
"   In particular, it is not IANA's responsibility to track the status
of
   allocations, their expiration, or when they may be re-allocated.
"

What you can see, in, for example, the MPLS registries, is
"TEMPORARY - expires 2012-01-20"
so IANA have not exactly put in the date of allocation, but equally, it
is not up to them to take any further action.

Tom Petch

Stewart

On 22/10/2012 17:08, Eric Gray wrote:

> Stewart,
>
> On the IANA allocation, this is a subtle issue, but is unlikely to be
> a problem.
>
> As you know, IANA is occasionally asked to pre-allocate code points.
This

> process – as I understand it – is different from an actual allocation
> in that (AFAIK)
>
> the allocation is not actually made in the registry but is reserved in
> IANA's notes
>
> somewhere.
>
> Should it be made clear which case this allocation is? I suspect that
IANA