Re: [mpls] [mpls-tp] mpls wg last call on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-identifiers-01

<neil.2.harrison@bt.com> Wed, 21 April 2010 07:37 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 08:37:43 +0100
From: neil.2.harrison@bt.com
To: maarten.vissers@huawei.com, swallow@cisco.com, mpls@ietf.org, mpls-tp@ietf.org, pwe3@ietf.org, ccamp@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls] [mpls-tp] mpls wg last call on draft-ietf-mpls-tp-identifiers-01

Maarten...agreed...but there is also a worrying addressing problem in
all this IMO that does not seem to be recognised/understood.  In
summary, a layer network (any mode/technology, not just co-ps/MPLS-TP
say) is most essentially characterised by its access point addressing
scheme...screw this up on day 1 and it is very hard to change later.

MPLS originally never had proper addressing allocated to it...largely
due to is binding with the cl-ps mode IP layer network it could never be
seen as a layer network in its own right (part of the common
control-plane flaw - I come back on this later).  Further, each LSP here
was a *sublayer* and part of the same hybrid/MPLS/IP layer network.
Moreover, each LSP (label distribution) signalling type created its own
form of addressing for how it wanted to identify its type of access
points.

PWs made the situation significantly worse when they became multi-hop.
These suddenly jumped from an adaptation role to a full blown layer
network in their own right.  So they needed their own addressing scheme
(and OAM, LDP signalling, etc),...which is what all the AII stuff is.
Not a great addressing structure I should add, we should have used v4 or
v6 but the problem dogging this stuff was that we were still claiming
this was all part of the same IP/MPLS layer network => can also read as
same instance of routing.....something we should know now is a flawed
notion for MPLS-T based on lessons learnt from GMPLS (I originally
pointed this 'common CP nonsense' out at 2000 San Diego IETF mtg).

Now MPLS-TP is supposed to be a transport network.  So each LSP in a
nested case should be in its own layer network....this is essentially
what you shown below.  MPLS-TP therefore does not need sublayering as
per the old type of MPLS...and it for sure should not be generating a PW
layer network, that simply indicates a failure to deliver a transport
network and just propagates the error made in MPLS.

However, because some folks want to retain the S bit notion and the old
type of sublayering in MPLS-TP, we have no way of knowing whether a set
of nested LSPs belong to different layer networks or are sublayers in
some arbitary layer network grouping.  The DP looks the same in all
cases.

I can see all sorts of problems brewing here in correctly identify which
layer network a given LSP belongs to...esp if there are multiple parties
involved in both client/server and peer-partition sense.

regards, Neil