Re: [mpls] [bess] draft-rosen-idr-rfc3107bis-00

"Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com> Tue, 26 January 2016 07:47 UTC

From: "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
To: Eric C Rosen <erosen@juniper.net>, "idr@ietf.org" <idr@ietf.org>, BESS <bess@ietf.org>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 07:47:11 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.130.151.75]
Subject: Re: [mpls] [bess] draft-rosen-idr-rfc3107bis-00

Hi Eric,

Thanks for writing this draft, it provides useful clarifications and updates for RFC 3107.

After reading the draft, I have some comments:

1. For NLRI encoding with single label, this draft says that "the S bit MUST be set to one on transmission". IMO RFC 3107 does not mandate this, and as you said some existing implementations may not set the S bit. To ensure backward compatibility, maybe the requirement on setting the S bit can be relaxed.

2. For NLRI encoding with multiple labels, I guess the beginning of the prefix field is identified based on the S bit of the last label. If a malformed NLRI is received, in which the S bit of the last label is not set, then the prefix cannot be recognized, and the treat-as-withdraw error handling is not applicable. This may be worth mentioned in the draft.

3. Section 2.5 describes implicit withdrawn and load balancing in detail. One possible issue here is it seems that the same next hop is required for the routes in Update U1 and U2. While section 9 of RFC 4271 specifies:

   "...if the NLRI of the new route is identical to the one the route currently has stored in the Adj-RIB-In, then the new route SHALL replace the older route in the Adj-RIB-In, thus implicitly withdrawing the older route from service."

Thus same next hop is not required for implicit withdrawn. This also applies to the load balancing case with Add_Path, in which the 2 paths used for load balancing may have different next hops.

Best regards,
Jie