Re: [mpls] Review and Consensus call on text from the MPLS Open DT on in-stack indicators

gregory.mirsky@ztetx.com Fri, 06 August 2021 22:34 UTC

Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2021 06:33:58 +0800
From: gregory.mirsky@ztetx.com
To: rgandhi.ietf@gmail.com
Cc: loa@pi.nu, mpls@ietf.org, pals-chairs@ietf.org, mpls-chairs@ietf.org, detnet-chairs@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls] Review and Consensus call on text from the MPLS Open DT on in-stack indicators

Hi Rakesh,

I don't think any IETF document dictates that an MPLS packet with GAL/G-ACh must be "punted out of the fast path in forwarding". I always thought that how a packet is processed is entirely implementation detail, which is also applicable to packets with GAL/G-ACh. For example, for many years now, BFD is supported using HW, whether over IP or MPLS data planes. I can imagine that in an MPLS-TP environment with non-IP encapsulation, BFD control messages over the Continuity Check G-ACh channel (0x0022), still be processed in HW without being punted to the slow-path processing.

Regards,

Greg Mirsky

Sr. Standardization Expert
预研标准部/有线研究院/有线产品经营部 Standard Preresearch Dept./Wireline Product R&D Institute/Wireline Product Operation Division

E: gregory.mirsky@ztetx.com
www.zte.com.cn