Re: [mpls] New Version Notification for draft-xu-sfc-using-mpls-spring-04.txt

Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com> Thu, 29 October 2015 01:40 UTC

From: Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com>
To: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 01:40:38 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.99.55]
Cc: "'mpls@ietf.org'" <mpls@ietf.org>, "mpls-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <mpls-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, "'sfc@ietf.org'" <sfc@ietf.org>, "sfc-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <sfc-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] New Version Notification for draft-xu-sfc-using-mpls-spring-04.txt

Hi Thomas,

In this draft, the SFC encapsulation is implemented in the form of an MPLS label stack (equivalent to NSH). Such SFC encapsulation could be transported over any transport networks such as IPv4, IPv6, MPLS networks. In a words, the SFC-encapsulation approach described in this draft is fully transport-independent indeed.

> The key question is how relevant and important it is to the work of this WG. Our
> read of the mailing list discussions over recent months is that there isn't strong
> interest in this work.

By encoding the SFP info by an MPLS label stack (i.e., implementing the SFC encapsulation in the form of an MPLS label stack), SFF devices could be easily implemented on existing MPLS devices without any change to their data planes. As a result, there is no need to introduce a totally new SFC encapsulation scheme and accordingly there is no need to introduce a totally new forwarding paradigm (e.g., NSH-based forwarding paradigm) especially when considering implementing SFFs on hardware platforms due to performance demands.

According to the following statement quoted from the current SFC charter:

"... The WG will examine existing identifier schemes,
  if there is a need for such identifiers in the context of the Generic SFC
  encapsulation, before defining any new identifier scheme.
..."

It seems that this MPLS-SPRING-based SFC encapsulation scheme should be relevant to the SFC WG. At least, it could be investigated as a light-weight SFC encapsulation approach (from the aspect of reducing and even avoiding any impact on the data plane).

Best regards,
Xiaohu