Re: [mpls] [spring] Invitation to participate in an Open MPLS wg desifn team on how to carry additional forwarding data in MPLS packets

Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com> Tue, 13 April 2021 09:01 UTC

From: Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com>
To: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 09:00:59 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.47.207.93]
Subject: Re: [mpls] [spring] Invitation to participate in an Open MPLS wg desifn team on how to carry additional forwarding data in MPLS packets

Hi MPLS Guru!
Sorry. I did not have a chance to participate in your call.
I do agree to all policies specified below. Could I propose 1 additional?

MPLS had a separate data plane header for services/overlay and separate for transport/underlay since the beginning. "Transport" in IETF has 2 meanings - I am referencing here to forwarding.
TEAS continues to specify VPN+ in the same way: VPN and VTN are separate.
We have seen examples when transport or service headers have been stacked independently, primarily it was the stack of many transport labels with 1 service label, but the opposite is possible too.
I propose the policy:
- It is important to preserve the clear separation of data plane headers for services/overlay and transport/underlay for independent innovation and management by different control plane protocols

IMHO: It is an important and valuable differentiator.

Eduard