Re: [mpls] Responding to comments in the WG adoption poll for draft-vainshtein-mpls-gal-tc-ttl-handling

"Bocci, Matthew (Matthew)" <matthew.bocci@alcatel-lucent.com> Wed, 14 October 2015 08:47 UTC

From: "Bocci, Matthew (Matthew)" <matthew.bocci@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com>, "Stewart Bryant (stbryant@cisco.com)" <stbryant@cisco.com>, "Andrew G. Malis (agmalis@gmail.com)" <agmalis@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 08:46:58 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.239.27.41]
Cc: "Ross Callon (rcallon@juniper.net)" <rcallon@juniper.net>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] Responding to comments in the WG adoption poll for draft-vainshtein-mpls-gal-tc-ttl-handling

Sasha

Thanks very much for responding in detail. The problem is that the draft does still discuss the case of implementations treating the TTL as if it indicates something about the OAM packet. I’ve discussed this with the co-editors of RFC5586 (Stewart and Martin) and it really seems to us that the draft is motivated by this.

As co-authors of RFC 5586, we are concerned with the impact on existing implementations of trying to update 5586 to work with a specific proprietary implementation. That implementation seems to rely on TTL signalling the OAM priority. This use of TTL is a deviation from the MPLS architecture. It is not clear that this is the right thing to do, but if
there is consensus to make that change it should be up-front rather than a by-product of this document.

However, we do acknowledge that we were not very strict in the specification of the TTL value: must be at least 1, and exact value is application specific. So that has left the door open to people making wrong decisions.

Since there are no known issues with the existing implementations of RFC5586, it seems inappropriate for this new draft to be an update. It
also appears to legitimise the proprietary interpretations and will not solve the problems that they introduce, which are never going to interoperate with
the existing deployed base even with  this draft. This makes the usefulness of the document rather tenuous.

We see no need to publish this document, but if there is consensus that it should be published, then an acceptable way forward would be to make the document an informational and not to update RFC 5586.

Matthew