Re: [mpls] Consensus poll on Design directive for the MPLS Open DT

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu> Fri, 03 September 2021 09:53 UTC

To: Haoyu Song <haoyu.song@futurewei.com>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Cc: "pals-chairs@ietf.org" <pals-chairs@ietf.org>, "mpls-chairs@ietf.org" <mpls-chairs@ietf.org>, DetNet Chairs <detnet-chairs@ietf.org>
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2021 11:53:04 +0200
Subject: Re: [mpls] Consensus poll on Design directive for the MPLS Open DT

All,

I will wait for the consensus call on this until I have comments from
the PALS chairs.

Haoyu,

Inline please

On 24/08/2021 20:35, Haoyu Song wrote:
> Hi WGs and design team,
>
> This was indeed my original position on this issue. However, I remember in one meeting Stewart gave an counter argument against this which I think also makes sense: what if for a packet with GAL/G-Ach,  the forwarding decision is determined by the ancillary data? If they cannot coexist, we may rule out useful use cases.
>
> I understand that one concern is the location conflict of G-ACH and ancillary data especially when G-ACH size may not be easy to decide. If this is the case, can we simply make that G-ACH, if exist, must be located after all ancillary data? After all, we can know the size of ancillary data easily.

Well, everything is "possible", for some values of "possible".

If we mandate that the G-ACH is located after post-stack-data, that
would require changing all existing implementations of GAL/GACh. And the
new and old version would not be compatible. And would require a
red-flag day.

"Possible" but not attractive.

/Loa