Re: [mpls] Open Design Team online meeting on Thursday (2021-07-01 )

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu> Fri, 02 July 2021 21:34 UTC

To: John E Drake <jdrake@juniper.net>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
Cc: "pals-chairs@ietf.org" <pals-chairs@ietf.org>, "spring-chairs@ietf.org" <spring-chairs@ietf.org>, "mpls-chairs@ietf.org" <mpls-chairs@ietf.org>, DetNet Chairs <detnet-chairs@ietf.org>
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 23:34:23 +0200
Subject: Re: [mpls] Open Design Team online meeting on Thursday (2021-07-01 )

John,

Please see inline.

On 02/07/2021 14:26, John E Drake wrote:
> Loa,
>
> I think the idea of including multiple indicator/pointer labels in an MPLS label stack is ill-considered.

Yes, the thought has struck me. I.e. I have not been pushing "all" these
proposals because I think we need to carefully discuss and take
decisions in the working group.

   As I understand it, the reasoning is that some transit LSRs may not
be able to reach the BoS, so we will place these indicator/pointer
labels in the MPLS label stack at positions where they can be read by
all transit routers, except of course, by those transit routers that
don't understand them.

I think that that is a true description for the GAL, but I have not seem
the same proposal for for example FAI.

However, for GAL I have seen two different proposals

- the first is what you describe above; a copy of the GAL already in the
   stack is introduced "higher up" in the stack

- the second is to add a second unique GAL, pointing to a second
   different ACH

   However, the semantics of these indicator/pointer labels are go to
the BoS and act upon data subsequent to it.  If a transit LSR isn't able
to reach BoS, how can it do this?  (It should be noted that RFC 8662
doesn't have this problem because it places the actionable data at
multiple places in the MPLS label stack.)

I agree that this is not straightforward, quite a bit of design is
needed, and might not be worth the effort. Another point we should agree on

> I think the conclusion has to be that these indicator/pointer labels have to appear once in an MPLS label stack in the vicinity of the BoS and we live with the fact that some transit LSRs won't be able to read or act upon them.

Does that mean that only a GAL or a FAI can be present in a label stack?

A similar problem is that the FAI has several flag, with your reasoning
it seems to me that for a single FAI we will aloow only one flags might
be set.

> Also, why are we adding these new capabilities strictly to MPLS?  Aren't there requirements for these new capabilities in non-MPLS environments?  If they were added in a non-MPLS specific manner, they would work in an MPLS environment without having to change MPLS.

Well, this has not been discussed in detail, but I note that is very
likely that the opposite statement also might be true "If they were
added in an MPLS specific manner, they would work in a non-MPLS
environment without further any further changes to that environment.

/Loa