Re: [mpls] [spring] Invitation to participate in an Open MPLS wg desifn team on how to carry additional forwarding data in MPLS packets

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu> Wed, 14 April 2021 04:40 UTC

To: "Fomin, Sergey (Nokia - US/Mountain View)" <sergey.fomin@nokia.com>, Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 12:39:51 +0800
Subject: Re: [mpls] [spring] Invitation to participate in an Open MPLS wg desifn team on how to carry additional forwarding data in MPLS packets

Eduardo,

On 14/04/2021 08:40, Fomin, Sergey (Nokia - US/Mountain View) wrote:
> Hi Eduard,
>> MPLS had a separate data plane header for services/overlay and separate for transport/underlay since the beginning.
>> - It is important to preserve the clear separation of data plane headers for services/overlay and transport/underlay
>
> Could you elaborate a little bit on that?
> In my opinion, almost the opposite is (currently) true - there's no distinction between "service/overlay" and "transport/underlay" headers, and there's no intrinsic semantics of mpls labels (except for special-purpose labels).
> MPLS labels have meaning only because of the existence of FEC/NHLFE/ILM mappings.

I'm on the same page Sergey. Would be good to have a bit more meat on
the bones to understand what you want to do/preserve.

If you pick a label (value, TTL, TC and BoS) I can't see that there is a
way to tell if it is a transport or service label.

And I don't think that any of the proposals we are currently discussing
in the DT scope intend to chnge that.

/Loa