Re: [mpls] Today's MPLS Open DT meeting cancelled

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu> Wed, 27 October 2021 15:03 UTC

To: Kireeti Kompella <kireeti.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, "pals-chairs@ietf.org" <pals-chairs@ietf.org>, "mpls-chairs@ietf.org" <mpls-chairs@ietf.org>, DetNet Chairs <detnet-chairs@ietf.org>
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 17:03:36 +0200
Subject: Re: [mpls] Today's MPLS Open DT meeting cancelled

Kireeti,

Sorry for late response.

One reason why we setup the agenda as we did for last week (1)
requrements and (2 )PSD Directive (if time allows), was that we wanted
to the requirements first. Then the discussion on the requirements
disappeared it was natural to cancel the meeting.

There are also a few question that I wanted to think about before going
ahead with the PSD directive.

First, the design directive should be a guideline the keeps solutions
within a sound architectural boundary. Your text seem to be describing
one particulate solution.

We  should not confuse a design directive with the specification. For
the design directive is enough if we say "you can't place PSD that
belongs to more than one FA/NF afteer the label with the BoS bit set".

The rest is specification and should go into ID/RFC.

Second, we should not anticipate wg consensus or actually
specifications. There are currently more than one proposal, on for
example how the indicators should work.

For example the FAI proposal works with one flag field, and let the
implementation figure out what is in the PSD. The NFI proposal is
different, and I not entirely clear how it works. I think it is one flag
field for actions/function that generate ISD and NoD, and two flag
fields (end-to-end and hop-by-hop) for actions/functions that generate PSD.

Your design directive seems to anticipate that we will go with the FAI
proposal, but we need to wait to take that decision.

The design directive don't need that decision "don't place more than one
set of PSD after the BoS" is independent of how the PSD is generated.

/Loa