Re: [mpls] Ben's Comments on draft-ietf-mpls-sr-over-ip

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Sat, 20 April 2019 06:21 UTC

Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2019 01:21:41 -0500
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
Cc: mpls@ietf.org, draft-ietf-mpls-sr-over-ip@ietf.org, 'The IESG' <iesg@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] Ben's Comments on draft-ietf-mpls-sr-over-ip

Hi Adrian,

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 08:50:07PM +0100, Adrian Farrel wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks for your very detailed comments on this draft. Quite a lot to chew on.

And thank you for the detailed replies.  I read them all, but only have
further comment on a handful.

> [...]
> >
> > (side note) Similarly, we only talk about SR-MPLS and IP routers here;
> > is there some intermediate "MPLS but not SR-MPLS" category or similar?
>
> Ah, a good question.
> MPLS routers are automatically able to forward SR-MPLS packets. So, if they lack SR capabilities they still participate seamlessly.
> And, in cast, if you had a sea of MPLS routers, you wouldn't need any encapsulation at all.
>
> > Also, the top-level Section 3 is just introductory text and doesn't
> > really describe much of anything, and if we are considering this to
> > refer to Section 3 and subsections, it then becomes self-referential.
>
> I think it applies to 3.2.
>
> > Section 3.2.1
> >
> >                                           Routers A, E, G, and H
> >   advertise their Segment Routing related information via IS-IS or
> >   OSPF.
> >
> > [still declarative]
>
> Still fixing 😊
>
> >   To handle this, when a router (here it is router G) pops the final
> >   SR-MPLS label, it inserts an explicit null label [RFC3032] before
> >   encapsulating the packet in an MPLS-over-UDP tunnel toward router H
> >   and sending it out.  That is, router G pops the top label, discovers
> >   it has reached the bottom of stack, pushes an explicit null label,
> >   and then encapsulates the MPLS packet in a UDP tunnel to router H.
> >
> > This seems like a critical functional behavior that is not specific to
> > the usage of IS-IS or OSPF.
>
> Agreed. Covered by previous fix.
>
> > Section 3.2.3
> >
> >      For instance, in the example as described in Figure 4, assume F is
> >      now an SR-MPLS-capable transit node while all the other
> >      assumptions keep unchanged, since F is not identified by a SID in
> >      the stack and an MPLS-over-UDP tunnel is preferred to an MPLS LSP
> >      according to local policies, router E would replace the current
> >      top label with an MPLS-over-UDP tunnel toward router G and send it
> >      out.
> >
> > (nit: There's a comma splice before "since F".)
>
> Ack
>
> > This description is a little sparse, and seems to assume the reader
> > knows that, all else being equal, with E, F, and G all being
> > MPLS-capable, the segment from E to G would transit native MPLS, absent
> > the indicated local policy.  Since this is explicitly the thing we are
> > contrasting against, it's probably good style to mention the behavior
> > explicitly, too.
>
> OK. "Good style" is our watchword.
>
> >   IP Header Fields:  When encapsulating an MPLS packet in UDP, the
> >      resulting packet is further encapsulated in IP for transmission.
> >      IPv4 or IPv6 may be used according to the capabilities of the
> >      network.  The address fields are set as described in Section 2.
> >
> > (Does Section 2 say how to set the source address?)
>
> Sure does.
>       The tunnel selected MUST have its
>       remote end point (destination) address equal to the address of the
>       next SR-MPLS capable node along the path (i.e., the egress of the

I might still be missing it.  Is the idea that once you've selected a
specific tunnel, that naturally will have a record of the source address
corresponding to that tunnel?  (I only see a literal "remote end point
(destination) address" in the quoted text, i.e., "source" or "local" do not
appear.)

> >   Entropy and ECMP:  When encapsulating an MPLS packet with an IP
> >      tunnel header that is capable of encoding entropy (such as
> >      [RFC7510]), the corresponding entropy field (the source port in
> >      case UDP tunnel) MAY be filled with an entropy value that is
> >
> > nit: "in the case of a UDP tunnel"
>
> Ack
>
> > Section 5
> >
> > [I'm going to comment on basically every line here; sorry to be so
> > nitpicky.]
>
> I'm going to cross-check. If you have left a line uncommented I will demand a refund.
> If only we had written more lines.
>
> >   The security consideration of [RFC8354] and [RFC7510] apply.  DTLS
> >
> > RFC 8354's security considerations are, for practical purposes, empty.
> > Perhaps a direct reference to 5095 would be more appropriate.
> > (The RFC 7510 security considerations are of course quite relevant and
> > helpful.)
>
> Yes, let's have...
> The security consideration of [RFC8354] (which redirects the reader to [RFC5095]) and [RFC7510] apply
> ...since 8354 remains the more "relevant" reference.
>
> >  [RFC6347] SHOULD be used where security is needed on an MPLS-SR-over-
> >  UDP segment.
> >
> > I think you need to give some indication of when that might be the case,
> > e.g., if the IP segment crosses the public Internet or some other
> > untrusted environment.
>
> I guess that is a good example. I'm worried that it may limit the imagination of the reader.
>
> I'm going to use "including when" in place of "e.g., if"

I was not intending to suggest that the "e.g." appear in the document, so
thank you for this.

> >   It is difficult for an attacker to pass a raw MPLS encoded packet
> >   into a network and operators have considerable experience at
> >   excluding such packets at the network boundaries.
> >
> > This is describing an expected/desired state (hopefully also the current
> > state!) but not why that should be or what the consequences of failing
> > to achieve that state are.  I'm happy to contribute some text, but this
> > seems like a generic MPLS consideration and I hope there is an
> > already-published reference that could be used instead.
>
> Well, I'll add a reference to 5920, but I don't think that completely covers it.
> This is the equivalent of an ACL to prevent IP-in-IP intrusion, but essentially says don't let MPLS emerge from an IP tunnel in the network. Everyone does it, not sure it is documented anywhere.
>
> That gives us...
>
>       It is difficult for an attacker to pass a raw MPLS encoded packet
>       into a network and operators have considerable experience at excluding
>       such packets at the network boundaries, for example by excluding all
>       MPLS packets that are revealed as payload of IP tunnels. Further discussion
>       of MPLS security is found in [RFC5920].

Thanks.  (I was pretty sure everyone does it, but that doesn't always mean
that we don't need to say it in the doc, as I'm sure you know...)

> >   It is easy for an ingress node to detect any attempt to smuggle an IP
> >   packet into the network since it would see that the UDP destination
> >   port was set to MPLS.  SR packets not having a destination address
> >
> > Easy, sure, if you know to look for it.  Where is that requirement
> > mandated?
>
> We don't mandate against self-harm.
> But I add...
>        , and such filtering SHOULD be applied
>
> >   terminating in the network would be transparently carried and would
> >   pose no security risk to the network under consideration.
> >
> > I'm not sure I see how the second sentence relates to the first; is this
> > just trying to say that SR-MPLS is transparent to traffic flowing over
> > such a network?  There would still be generic capacity risks, of course,
> > though maybe we don't need to be so specific -- "pose no different
> > security risk than any other traffic" would be plenty.
>
> OK
>
> >  Where control plane techniques are used (as described in Section 3),
> >  it is important that these protocols are adequately secured for the
> >  environment in which they are run.
> >
> > What does "adequately secured" mean?  Is there a best-practices
> > document, or security considerations for the control protocols in
> > question that cover this?  Is the needed property that "any packets
> > interpreted as MPLS must be originated from authorized network devices
> > within the administrative domain (or group of such domains), with no
> > ability for attackers to inject such traffic inside the domain and
> > blocking at the boundary"?  When different administrative domains are
> > joined together, what are the counterparty risks?
>
> OK, these are not MPLS packets, they are control plane packets.
> The injection of MPLS packets was where we were a few comments further up.
>
> "Adequately secured" is indeed a wide scope. I think 5920 is our base reference for all MPLS control plane security issues.
>
> But perhaps 6862 as well.

OK, I trust you to know better than I would.

Thanks again,

Ben