Re: [mpls] [sfc] FW: New Version Notification for draft-xu-sfc-using-mpls-spring-04.txt

Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com> Thu, 10 September 2015 02:40 UTC

From: Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com>
To: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, "'sfc@ietf.org'" <sfc@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 02:40:20 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.99.55]
Cc: "'mpls@ietf.org'" <mpls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] [sfc] FW: New Version Notification for draft-xu-sfc-using-mpls-spring-04.txt

Hi Joel,

As described in this draft, an MPLS label stack is used to indicate a certain service function path. In other word, the MPLS label stack is now looked as another SFC encapsulation form. As MPLS encapsulated packets could be transported over MPLS networks or IP networks through IP-based tunnels (e.g., GRE or UDP), the MPLS-formatted SFC header could be safely deemed as transport-independent.

Since the MPLS-SPRING-based SFC approach as described in this draft is built on the mature MPLS forwarding paradigm, SFF functionalities could be easily implemented on existing MPLS devices without any change to their data-planes if the attached SFs are SFC-aware. Note that SFC-aware here (i.e., in the MPLS-SPRING-based SFC context) means MPLS-aware at least (e.g., being capable of receiving and treating received packets with the MPLS encapsulation). As SFC-aware SFs tend to be implemented in the NFV form, MPLS-awareness would not be a excessive demand for them, IMHO.

Best regards,
Xiaohu