Re: [mpls] RtgDir review: draft-ietf-mpls-sfc-04.txt

Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com> Thu, 10 January 2019 07:12 UTC

From: Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com>
To: "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, "rtg-ads@ietf.org" <rtg-ads@ietf.org>
CC: "rtg-dir@ietf.org" <rtg-dir@ietf.org>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-mpls-sfc.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-mpls-sfc.all@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 07:10:19 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.111.194.201]
Subject: Re: [mpls] RtgDir review: draft-ietf-mpls-sfc-04.txt

Hi Adrian,

I am still thinking that this may not just be an implementation problem. Looking though the draft again, I feel that the draft will benefit by adding more clarification text.

For example, I found the following text (Section 6). This paragraph seems the only "formal" processing rule on the SPI/SI label for the swapping case.

"
 o  When a component of the SFC system processes a packet it uses the
      SPI Label to identify the SFP and the SI Label to determine to
      which SFF or instance of an SF (an SFI) to deliver the packet.
      Under normal circumstances (with the exception of branching and
      reclassification - see [I-D.ietf-bess-nsh-bgp-control-plane]) the
      SPI Label value is preserved on all packets.  The SI Label value
      is modified by SFFs and through reclassification to indicate the
      next hop along the SFP.
".
What does the component refer to(classifier, SFF  or SF) ? Can it be an SF? . If so, what is the processing rule?  It seems imply that the SF should be SPI/SI aware, the SPI/SI cannot be swapped, popped off. Otherwise the mechanisms defined in this document will not work.

The last sentence says that "The SI Label value is modified by SFFs", when does a SFF modify the SI Label value?  For example, before sending the packet to an SF or after being received from an SF?  This is not clear in the current draft but. The example section gives some hint on this, that's one of the reasons that I think some of the content should be defined as formal procedures.

In addition, section 8:
"
When an SFF receives a packet containing an MPLS label stack, it
   checks whether it is processing an {SFP, SI} label pair for label
   swapping or a {context label, SFI index} label pair for label
   stacking.  It then selects the appropriate SFI to which to send the
   packet.  When it receives the packet back from the SFI, it has four
   cases to consider.

   o  If the current hop requires an {SFP, SI} and the next hop requires
      an {SFP, SI}, it sets the SI label to the SI value of the current
      hop, selects an instance of the SF to be executed at the next hop,
      and tunnels the packet to the SFF for that SFI.

   o  If the current hop requires an {SFP, SI} and the next hop requires
      a {context label, SFI label}, it pops the {SFP, SI} from the top
      of the MPLS label stack and tunnels the packet to the SFF
      indicated by the context label.
"

How does an SFF determine "the current hop requires an {SFP, SI} and the next hop requires an {SFP, SI}" or "the current hop requires an {SFP, SI} and the next hop requires a {context label, SFI label} ?

Should the "it sets the SI label to the SI value of the current hop, selects an instance of the SF to be executed at the next hop" be changed to " it selects an instance of the SF to be executed at the next hop, sets the SI label to the SI value of the next hop"? The SI label should be set to next hop, right?

Best regards,
Mach