Re: [mpls] thought about the ADI name

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu> Sat, 25 December 2021 10:41 UTC

Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 18:40:44 +0800
To: Haoyu Song <haoyu.song@futurewei.com>, "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
Subject: Re: [mpls] thought about the ADI name

On 24/12/2021 01:58, Haoyu Song wrote:
> Hi Loa,
>
> Let me try to explain a bit more. I have examples to back the following claims which I can present in a future meeting.

If you want to present, you should be specific and ask for a slot at a
meeting.

> So far all the existing header design follows a chain structure.

hmmm -  do you consider a number of TLVs to be a "chain structure"?

The header are parsed linearly one by one from the start of the packet,

or upiu stop when you find what you are looking for, which may not be
the last but the first, the last, or anything in between.

until you reach a header that is considered the last one concerned by
the forwarding plane.

You know the presence of a specific header only when you reach it.

No. not true - if you have the flag field (FAI/NAI or ADI. or whatever
you want to call them. The flags will tell you, you'll know what you are
looking for.

In this design, the number of parser states as well as the time for
parsing is both linear to the number of headers scanned.

Can't argue about this, doesn't the fact that you are looking for
something specific help?

> Now people may think using some extra indicators (i.e., a bitmap with each bit indicating the presence of a header later in the packet) may improve the parsing performance. To this we must ask "in what sense"?
>
> We can consider two possible types of improvements. First is the reduction of parsing states which can help to save the parser resource (i.e., fewer nodes in the parser FSM); second is the reduction of parsing cycles which can help to parse a packet faster (we have a fixed cost for parsing each header, no matter the size of it. E.g, each MPLS label is considered a header, the entire IPv6 header, excluding EHs, is also considered a header).
>
> For the first one, if you start to actually draft the parsing graph, you will find the opposite results. In two different parsing styles, both requires more parser states than a simple header chain.
>
> For the second one, we need to understand that the headers concerned by a forwarding plane need to all be parsed anyway. You can't ignore some headers in the middle because you will need to reconstruct the packet headers at the egress (a process also known as deparsing). So the extra indicator encoding doesn't help to improve the parsing speed either.

So, I conclude. If we have the flag field and know that there is only
one or two action flags set, I will be worse off than if I have a PSD
structure that I have no knowledge about?

Now I'm too far off road, and stop here.

> There's a reason why so far all the headers are simply organized as a chain. It's the most efficient and straightforward way. My study is based on current switch ASICs and some NPs.  If people don't believe me, then evidence (e.g., pseudo code or parsing graph) needs to be provided. Perhaps there are some different forwarding plane designs which can play magic. We need to learn that before introducing any new mechanism.

> A caveat is that, an extra indicator for the presence of HBH headers might be useful in some cases. For example, on an LSP path nodes, if there's no HBH headers later in the packet, the parser can stop further parsing immediately which can save some parsing cycles.  Even in this case, if the forwarding plane still requires to continue parsing, this mechanism doesn’t help.

I a FAI/NAI/ADI that indicates HBH wrse than one that indicate E2E?

/Loa

--
Loa Andersson                        email: loa@pi.nu
Senior MPLS Expert                          loa.pi.nu@gmail.com