Re: [mpls] MPLS-RT review of draft-vainshtein-mpls-gal-tc-ttl-handling-01

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu> Mon, 29 June 2015 13:53 UTC

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 15:53:11 +0200
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
To: "Carlos Pignataro (cpignata)" <cpignata@cisco.com>, Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
Cc: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, "draft-vainshtein-mpls-gal-tc-ttl-handling@tools.ietf.org" <draft-vainshtein-mpls-gal-tc-ttl-handling@tools.ietf.org>, "mpls-chairs@ietf.org" <mpls-chairs@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] MPLS-RT review of draft-vainshtein-mpls-gal-tc-ttl-handling-01

Carlos,

On 2015-06-28 21:07, Carlos Pignataro (cpignata) wrote:
> Hi Adrian,
<snip>

> My point is that the current text does not say what you say.
> The text says "It is RECOMMENDED that implementations set the
> TC field of an LSE that contains the GAL to all zero (0b000).”,

> and that statement does not include any qualifiers or conditionals.
> I understand you say that there is an “there may be valid reasons
> to do otherwise, with implications carefully understood before
> doing so” implicit to the SHOULD.

Maybe naive, but I thought SHOULD and RECOMMENDED have the same implicit
conditions, RFC 2119 says:

3. SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
    carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

/Loa

However, that is different

than saying “In the absence of local policy for setting those values, it
is RECOMMENDED …”.

--

Loa Andersson                        email: loa@mail01.huawei.com
Senior MPLS Expert                          loa@pi.nu