[mpls] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-mpls-tp-aps-updates-03

Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net> Wed, 17 May 2017 01:02 UTC

From: Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>
To: secdir@ietf.org
Cc: mpls@ietf.org, draft-ietf-mpls-tp-aps-updates.all@ietf.org, ietf@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 18:02:40 -0700
Subject: [mpls] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-mpls-tp-aps-updates-03

Reviewer: Christian Huitema
Review result: Ready

IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat

This document is: Ready.

This document, draft-ietf-mpls-tp-aps-updates-03, describes a set of
fixes to the MPLS Transport Profile (MPLS-TP) Linear Protection
defined in RFC 6378. Linear Protection is meant to provide rapid and
simple protection switching. MPLS-TP allows end-points in a "protected
domain" to coordinate when the traffic shall be sent on the normal
path, or switched to the pre-established protection path. The protocol
was updated in RFC 7271. The current document updates RFC 7271. It
adds a better definition for the initialization of the protocol state,
and defines a limited set of changes in the state machine.

The security sections states that "No specific security issue is
raised in addition to those ones already documented in [RFC7271].  It
may be noted that tightening the description of initializing behavior
may help to protect networks from re-start attack." I agree with that
assessment.