Re: [mpls] Concerns about draft-kompella-mpls-special-purpose-labels-02

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu> Fri, 31 May 2013 08:34 UTC

Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 10:33:58 +0200
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
To: adrian@olddog.co.uk
Cc: mpls@ietf.org, draft-kompella-mpls-special-purpose-labels-02@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [mpls] Concerns about draft-kompella-mpls-special-purpose-labels-02

Adrian and Eric,

On 2013-05-31 05:32, Adrian Farrel wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
>> Loa> However there is one (maybe two) things in the draft that is a little
>> Loa> more urgent than the extension of the special purpose label space.
>>
>> Loa> 1. the renaming of "reserved labels" to "special purpose labels", to
>> Loa>    align with how IANA uses the word "reserved".
>>
>> Loa> 2. The procedures to deprecate and retire special purpose labels.
>>
>> What is the urgency?
>
> None that I can see.

Maybe "urgency" was the wrong word :) .

What I meant was that I want to be able to fix up the IANA registries
so that our RFC and IDs use the terminology as the registries. We can
do that now without having decided exactly on the the size and semantics
of the extended purpose labels.

Also retiring labels is something we can do already now - as soon as
we agree on procedures.

That has nothing to do with that the original special purpose
expires or not, it mostly how we keep our IANA registries nice and tidy.

/Loa

--

Loa Andersson                        email: loa@mail01.huawei.com
Senior MPLS Expert                          loa@pi.nu