Re: [mpls] [Idr] Working Group adoption call for draft-decraene-idr-next-hop-capability-03

<bruno.decraene@orange.com> Mon, 12 June 2017 10:04 UTC

From: bruno.decraene@orange.com
To: Keyur Patel <keyur@arrcus.com>, idr wg <idr@ietf.org>
CC: "mpls@ietf.org" <mpls@ietf.org>, "draft-decraene-idr-next-hop-capability@ietf.org" <draft-decraene-idr-next-hop-capability@ietf.org>, "John G.Scudder" <jgs@juniper.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 10:04:01 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.3]
Subject: Re: [mpls] [Idr] Working Group adoption call for draft-decraene-idr-next-hop-capability-03

Hi Keyur,

 > From: Keyur Patel [mailto:keyur@arrcus.com]  > Sent: Saturday, May 20, 2017 2:43 AM
>
 > Support. However, It would be great if the attribute format adopts new attribute definition
 > of : https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-bgp-attribute-announcement/
 >
 > This will help scope the attribute announcements.

Thanks for the support.

TL;DR: Interesting comment regarding draft-ietf-idr-bgp-attribute-announcement. But I feel that the comment is more related to draft-ietf-idr-bgp-attribute-announcement, and how we(IDR) can make it real.

A priori, to enforce the use of draft-ietf-idr-bgp-attribute-announcement for future BGP attributes, we need an RFC. But to get that RFC, IDR requests 2 implementations. Hence there is a need to implement it on a first attribute. 3 options:

a) pick a draft / attribute more or less randomly.
Pro: easy path for  -bgp-attribute-announcement
Con: typical reaction for the choose draft may be "why me?", "not in my backyard"

As a matter of fact ;-) I don't feel that draft-decraene-idr-next-hop-capability is the best choice given that the next-hop attribute is removed when the next-hop is changed, so typically will already not leave an AS/administrative domain. So there is less need for filtering capability on AS border. Plus bgp-attribute-announcement provides filtering capability on an attribute basis, why -next-hop-capability would better benefit from filtering on a capability basis.

May be the iOTC attribute would be a better fit, especially since it already needs to implement filtering on AS boundaries and may benefit from enhanced filtering capabilities.

b) pick a dedicated attribute code, just to implement the general behavior.
Could even be a deprecated code point given that it won't be used in deployment.
Con: difficult to fund the implementation since the benefit is null in the short term.

c) split bgp-attribute-announcement into 2 drafts/phases:
- phase 1: define the new Extended Path Attribute Flags field (i.e. 4 null octets). With no flag  defined
- phase 2: defines the new flags.

Pro:
Phase 1 is very easy to implement for any new attribute. Hence high chance to get implementation --> RFC --> mandate this new format. Speaking for myself, I'm open to add this phase 1 in next-hop-capability (once this phase1 document is written, accepted as WG doc, preferably WGLC)
Phase 2 has more incentive to get implemented since the flags would be applicable to multiple attributes i.e. the benefit would be multiplied by N.

Best regards,
-- Bruno