Re: [mpls] FW: New Version Notification for draft-xu-sfc-using-mpls-spring-04.txt

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Wed, 09 September 2015 14:21 UTC

To: Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com>, "'sfc@ietf.org'" <sfc@ietf.org>
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 10:21:29 -0400
Cc: "'mpls@ietf.org'" <mpls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [mpls] FW: New Version Notification for draft-xu-sfc-using-mpls-spring-04.txt

This draft seems to be written as if MPLS were a transport-independent
forwarding mechanism for SFC.  While I expect MPLS (and MPLS-SPRING) to
be used as a transport for MPLS, and sometimes as a transport across
multiple service functions, I would NOT claim that it is itself
transport independent.

As such, I am unclear on how the SFC working group could adopt this
document.

Considered as a transport description, it does not appear to standardize
anything, so it would seem at most to be an informational document.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern