Re: [Mter] Need to decide on potential next steps for MTER

Michael Menth <menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de> Tue, 16 May 2006 07:12 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:12:08 +0200
From: Michael Menth <menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
To: JP Vasseur <jvasseur@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Mter] Need to decide on potential next steps for MTER
Cc: Rüdig er Martin <martin@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>, raymond_zhang@bt.infonet.com, mter@ietf.org

Dear JP, Jean-Louis, and Raymond,

we are working on the field of multi-layer resilience, in particular
regarding the required backup capacity of protection and restoration
mechanisms, e.g. MPLS-FRR and others:
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~menth/Publications/Menth04c.pdf
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~menth/Publications/Menth05f.pdf
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~menth/Publications/Menth06f.pdf

We, as a university, are interested in the mter discussion to share our
experience and to find new relevant issues for further research. I hope
that sufficiently many manufacturers and operators also express their
interest in this activity.

Kind regards,

    Michael

JP Vasseur wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Below the email we sent to the list some time ago, seeking for
> feed-backs but so far the list has been pretty quiet. During the past
> few months we received a very few off-line positive feed-backs
> indicating some interest in this work. It is now a good time to decide
> on whether there is enough interest to work on this topic by the IETF
> community in which case we will request a BOF approval or whether the
> interest is too weak to pursue this work.
>
> So we will follow up with a few discussion threads related to the
> scenarios described in the problem statement ID, for which we'd like
> to get your feed-back relatively quickly, should you think that it is
> worth being pursed.
>
> Thanks.
>
> JP, Jean-Louis and Raymond.
>
> Hi,
>
> It took a little while to come up with a clear problem statement but
> we now have an I-D (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ahmad-
> mter-problem-statement-00.txt (thanks to the authors)) that will
> hopefully trigger some discussion with the objective to see whether
> there is enough interest to pursue this work at the IETF.
>
> The draft has been structured so as to first show three scenarios
> where various recovery mechanisms could be used in combination. This
> does not aim to cover all possible cases but some pretty common
> deployment scenario for the sake of illustration. Then various Multi-
> TEchnology Recovery (MTER) issues are discussed.
>
> What is the objective of this work ?
>
> Let's start with the set of non-objective first ...
> * There is no intention to come up with protocols extensions that are
> being worked out in existing WGs (ISIS, IDR, CCAMP, ....)
> * Discuss implementation-specific issues
>
> Now the objectives ...
>
> What has been shown through the three MTER deployment cases making use
> of multiple recovery mechanisms in combination is the following:
>
> -> There are cases where being able to identify the root failure cause
> would significantly improve various recovery metrics such as the
> convergence time, required backup capacity, ... and so on. Do we need
> to work on such mechanisms at the IETF is an open question ?
>
> -> MIBs and OAM tools have been defined for most of the recovery
> techniques (IGP, BGP, MPLS FRR, GMPLS, ... ) and there are clearly no
> such tool for the aspects related to their combined use. It looks like
> the availability of such tools would help Service Providers to manage,
> tune and troubleshooting their network. Again, feed-backs from this ML
> are critical to see how to move forward and if the community expressed
> some interest.
>
> Thanks for your feed-backs.
>
> JP, Jean-Louis and Raymond.

Dr. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor
University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science
Am Hubland, D-97074 Wuerzburg, Germany, room B206
phone: (+49)-931/888-6644, fax: (+49)-931/888-6632
mailto:menth@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/research/ngn