[Mtgvenue] Review of draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process-04

"John Dickinson" <jad@sinodun.com> Mon, 30 January 2017 18:58 UTC

From: John Dickinson <jad@sinodun.com>
To: mtgvenue@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 18:58:25 +0000
Subject: [Mtgvenue] Review of draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process-04

Thanks to all who have put so much work into this draft and to the past
meeting organisers who have organised many fantastic meetings.

As a wheelchair user I have a few comments…

§3.1. There is no mention of accessible transport between airport and
hotel. At every meeting I have to remotely pre-book a wheelchair
accessible taxi for the airport transfer, some of which (even though
arranged via the venue hotel) turned out to be unsuitable/unsafe. At the
last Hawaii IETF we were told that there was only one wheelchair capable
taxi on the entire island that had to be booked days in advance for any
trip!

§3.2. Could someone explain the reasoning behind the different
requirements levels for “The Facility permits easy wheelchair
access.” and “The Facility is accessible by people with
disabilities.”? I have just seen the discussion between Dave and
Stephen. Dave, could your comments defending the difference be added to
the draft to justify the distinction.

§3.4 Same question again. Also, I would like to see some mention of a
pool of accessible rooms being available in the IETF reservation and
that those rooms be reserved for people who require them. I don’t know
how large this pool needs to be. In Yokohama due to maintenance at the
hotel there were no fully wheelchair accessible rooms in the hotel.

§3.5 “as well as areas within a reasonable walking distance
or conveniently accessible by a short taxi, bus, or
subway ride, have convenient and inexpensive
choices for meals that can accommodate a wide range
of dietary requirements.”

A reasonable number of the areas and restaurants also need to be
accessible. In Toronto, and Berlin we ended up using a bike lock to
secure my chair in the street. IIRC the state of the sidewalks in
Toronto were almost inaccessible for people without disabilities! The
pavements in Bueno Aires were also heavily damaged in places.

Venue and Lodging:
In several recent meetings there have been areas of the hotel or venue
that were off limits due to wheelchair lifts that could only be operated
by a member of staff with a key. I am lucky enough that I can still walk
short distances but for others it would (in Toronto I think) have
prevented access to the bar!

Heavy doors: It is often the case that meeting room doors are so heavy
they could not be opened by an unaccompanied wheelchair user.

I have been to several meetings (not just ietf) where coaches to social
events could not accommodate a non-collapsible chair. I either walk on
the coach and hope that the other end does not involve too much walking
or I have to make my own way there.

In general, the document is very light on accessibility issues and
perhaps, given the wide range of potential disabilities, the authors
could consider getting some professional advice. Maybe it is something
the ADA could help with??

I know we don’t live in a perfect world and I don’t expect
everything I described to be perfect in every location but at least
these things (among may others) should be considered.

John Dickinson

http://sinodun.com

Sinodun Internet Technologies Ltd.
Magdalen Centre