Re: [Mtgvenue] Comments on -04

Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com> Tue, 31 January 2017 04:08 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2017 23:07:58 -0500
From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs@anvilwalrusden.com>
To: mtgvenue@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Mtgvenue] Comments on -04

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 02:31:13PM +1300, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> Really? That's only an issue of document organisation.
> Personally I think it's more readable arranged the way it is,
> by topic. YMMV.

I don't actually care about readability.  I care about utility in
decision-making (as I noted in the preamble to my note), and this
organization is impenetrable for that

> But that is the whole point. Most of the 'mandatory' items are
> in fact judgment calls. So it's mandatory to make the call, but
> it's made by the IAOC (on the recommendation of the meetings
> committee, presumably). And yes, most of the criteria we've
> identified are in that category. That's a good sign, IMHO,
> because it means that we aren't wasting time on minor issues.

This is a completely absurd meaning of "mandatory" (and not the one in
the document).  It's not that it's mandatory to make the call, but
rather that if the criterion cannot be satisfied then the meeting is
not to be held there.  It's perfectly clear in the text:

   Mandatory:
      If this requirement cannot be met, a location under consideration
      is unacceptable.  We walk away.

> >    By the same token, Venue decisions
> >    are not themselves subject to IETF consensus, and are instead
> >    decisions taken by the IAOC.
>
> To me that is implicit, but it's a fine addition to avoid doubt.

Well, if that's what we mean by this, then I think the entire point of
the associated text is lost and it should all be removed.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@anvilwalrusden.com