[Mtgvenue] Terminology issue in mtgvenue

"Pete Resnick" <resnick@episteme.net> Fri, 19 October 2018 21:38 UTC

From: Pete Resnick <resnick@episteme.net>
To: iasa20@ietf.org
Cc: mtgvenue@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 16:38:19 -0500
Subject: [Mtgvenue] Terminology issue in mtgvenue

IASA 2.0 folks:

With my mtgvenue chair hat on: An issue has come up over in mtgvenue
that I think really needs to be resolved by iasa20, and in particular
not by the mtgvenue folks alone.

The Venue Selection document,
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process/>,
refers to "IASA" throughout. When written, the document presumed that we
were working under IASA 1.0, and had references to RFC 4071. When our
documents got to AUTH48, we realized that it was going to come out right
on the heels of the IASA 2.0 docs and that it would be silly to publish
only to have to turn around and fix things. The initial suggestion in
mtgvenue was to pretty much do a global replace of "IASA" with "IETF
LLC" (with some other editorial changes). The document editor's version
with those edits is here:
<https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc8491-auth48diff.html>. However, a
few folks (and in particular, folks who are active in iasa20) noted that
in fact "IASA" was correct, because under IASA 2.0, the LLC is under
IASA, and that using "LLC" might be incorrect in some instances.
Conversely, some folks thought that "LLC" was a clearer reference. As
that discussion has evolved, your faithful mtgvenue chair is no longer
sure that we've gotten this exactly right. On top of that, Alissa has
indicated that it's probably better to have iasa20 figure out what
terminology is appropriate to refer to the assorted entities, for the
sake of all documents, not just mtgvenue's.

So, I would ask that the iasa20 WG review the above two documents and
let us know whether we've got it right or wrong, and generally let us
know which terminology should be used in which circumstances. I'm sure
mtgvenue folks will pipe up with their concerns, but guidance should
really be coming from a discussion in iasa20.

BTW: Don't worry about the fact that the document is in AUTH48 or
whether it will need a new Last Call or whatever. Let's get the document
correct first, and then we'll figure out what process knobs, lights, and
buttons need to be operated.

Cheers,

pr
--
Pete Resnick http://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best