[Mtgvenue] some developments in U.S. border phone searches: good news (fwd) Victoria at OpenMedia: U.S. border phone searches: good news

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Sun, 17 November 2019 03:05 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: mtgvenue@ietf.org
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2019 11:05:43 +0800
Subject: [Mtgvenue] some developments in U.S. border phone searches: good news (fwd) Victoria at OpenMedia: U.S. border phone searches: good news

Meanwhile, Canada apparently rejected visas for a significant number (I heard 19 out of
20, on facebook, but that was like third hand) of the ISOC Fellows to the
ICANN meeting in Montreal a few weeks ago.

--- Begin Message ---
Great news Michael: *a court has just ruled that U.S. border agents can no longer search travellers&rsquo; phones and laptops without any reason.*1

This is a huge relief for anyone travelling to the U.S. We carry enormous amounts of highly personal information on our phones and laptops &ndash; from private messages and photos to confidential business or legal documents.

The courts in the U.S. have clearly spoken: searching a digital device containing thousands upon thousands of pieces of personal information is very clearly different from searching a suitcase or handbag, and requires a higher bar of demonstrable, reasonable suspicion.2

*But sadly this message has yet to get through to the Canadian government, who still permit arbitrary and suspicionless searches at the border.*

You&rsquo;re one of the many thousands of people in Canada who have already signed the call for our government to protect our digital privacy at the border. With new appointments being made to key posts after this election, we&rsquo;ll be redoubling our efforts to get this issue to the top of the agenda.

Can you spare a moment now to share the petition on social media and help get more people involved? Politicians will be paying close attention to what&rsquo;s just happened in the U.S., let&rsquo;s show them that we demand the same here!

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
 [ https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?m2w&amp;u=http://om4.me/Zx7 ]

SHARE ON TWITTER
 [ http://bit.ly/2WN34Bi ]

Thanks for everything you do!

Victoria with OpenMedia

"Footnotes
[1] Federal Court Rules Suspicionless Searches of Travelers&rsquo; Phones and Laptops Unconstitutional: ""ACLU" [ https://www.aclu.org/press-releases/federal-court-rules-suspicionless-searches-travelers-phones-and-laptops ]"
[2] U.S. Border Agents Can&rsquo;t Randomly Search Phones, Judge Rules: ""Bloomberg" [ https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-12/u-s-judge-blocks-suspicionless-searches-of-phones-at-borders ]

OpenMedia [ https://openmedia.org ]

We work to safeguard the possibilities of the open Internet, and toward informed and participatory digital policy.
This work depends on the support of people like you. Donate [ https://act.openmedia.org/donate?src=emft ].
You can follow us on *Twitter* [ https://twitter.com/OpenMediaOrg ], and like us on *Facebook* [ https://www.facebook.com/openmediaorg ].

You have received this message because you have previously taken action with OpenMedia, and subscribed to updates with the email address mcr@sandelman.ca.