Re: Draft RFC for the "DF scheme"

Drew Daniel Perkins <ddp+@andrew.cmu.edu> Thu, 19 April 1990 23:37 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 1990 19:33:13 -0400
From: Drew Daniel Perkins <ddp+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: mtudwg
Subject: Re: Draft RFC for the "DF scheme"

mogul@decwrl.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) writes:
> 3.1. TCP MSS Option
>    Moreover, doing this prevents PMTU Discovery from discovering PMTUs
>    larger than 576, so hosts SHOULD no longer lower the value they send
>    in the MSS option.  The MSS option should now reflect the size of the
>    largest datagram the host is able to reassemble (MMS_R, as defined in
>     [1]); in many cases, this will be the architectural limit of 65535
>    octets.  A host MAY send an MSS value derived from the MTU of its
>    connected network (the maximum MTU over its connected networks, for a
>    multi-homed host); this should not cause problems for PMTU Discovery,
>    and may dissuade a broken peer from sending enormous datagrams.

I'm a bit uncomfortable with this.  I know that "logically" 65535
should be the value to send, but I think that "practically", it would
be better to never send anything greater than the network MTU.
Sending 65535 just because it is "right" seems to be asking for
trouble.  Who knows what some strange hosts might do with this...

>         Alternatively, an implementation can avoid the use of an
>         asynchronous notification mechanism for PMTU decreases by
>         postponing notification until the next attempt to send a
>         datagram larger than the PMTU estimate.  In this approach,
>         when an attempt is made to SEND a datagram with the DF bit
>         set, and the datagram is larger than the PMTU estimate, the
>         SEND function should fail and return a suitable error
>         indication.  This approach may be more suitable to a
>         connectionless packetization layer (such as one using UDP),
>         which may be hard to ``notify'' from the ICMP layer.  In this
>         case, the normal timeout-based retransmission mechanisms would
>         be used to recover from the dropped datagrams.

Connectionless packetization layers are no harder to notify (atleast
not UDP).  The returned packet header in the ICMP message tells you
exactly where the packet came from.  The fact that this problem exists in
BSD is solely a BSD design flaw (which I think Mike Karels agreed to fix
in the Host Requirements WG).  In particular for UDP under BSD, every
source of UDP packets has been bind()'d so that there is an
established binding between process, socket and UDP source port (even
if the process hasn't done an explicit bind() or connect().

>                4408   4Mb IBM Token Ring         ref. [6]
How about:       4464   IEEE 802.5 (4Mb max)       RFC 1042

>                2002   IEEE 802.5                 RFC 1042
How about:       2002   IEEE 802.5 (4Mb recommended) RFC 1042

>                1500   Point-to-Point (max MTU)   RFC 1134
How about:       1500   Point-to-Point (default)   RFC 1134

>                296    Serial Lines               ???
How about:       296    Point-to-Point (low delay) RFC 1144

I also found a number of spelling errors.  A good wack with a spelling
checker is in order...

Drew