"Fragmentation considered harmful"

Philippe Prindeville <philipp@Gipsi.Gipsi.Fr> Wed, 31 January 1990 03:06 UTC

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1990 02:48:36 -0100
From: Philippe Prindeville <philipp@Gipsi.Gipsi.Fr>
To: MTU Discovery <mtudwg>
Subject: "Fragmentation considered harmful"

Going over the DECWRL report (not the ACM paper) I was thinking
that the IPMP protocol is a good idea, and it offers the chance
to kill several birds with one stone by collecting a lot more
than just the MTU along a path.  Additionally, I would suggest
collecting security levels available and type-of-service levels
available.  Perhaps a space for route recording too, since an IP
option is limited to 7.

-Philip

P.S.	Some might argue it is a security breach to let one
	level convey information about (the existance of)
	other levels.  I will leave that to the spooks to
	answer...