Logistical details for Working Group meetings, Dec. 12th

mogul (Jeffrey Mogul) Thu, 30 November 1989 23:08 UTC

From: mogul (Jeffrey Mogul)
Date: 30 Nov 1989 1508-PST (Thursday)
To: gw-discovery@gregorio.stanford.edu, mtudwg
Subject: Logistical details for Working Group meetings, Dec. 12th

The IETF Working Groups on MTU Discovery and Gateway Discovery
will hold their meetings on Tuesday, December 12, 1989.  This
message contains the information that attendees will need.

Schedule:
	 9:00 - 12:00	MTU Discovery WG meeting
	12:00 -  1:00	Lunch (possibly a working lunch to finish up MTUD)
	 1:00 -  ????	Gateway Discovery (possibly extending through dinner)

Lunch and dinner are not being supplied, but there are many dozens of
places to buy food within a 10 minute walk of here.

Location:
	Digital Equipment Corporation Western Research Laboratory (DECWRL)
	Stanford Square (SSQ) Building
	100 Hamilton Avenue
	Palo Alto, CA
	DECWRL:   (415) 853-6600
	my phone: (415) 853-6643

    Note that DECWRL shares the SSQ building with a product group, so
    you will not be allowed to enter the building unescorted.  Please
    be patient if the receptionist is strict about this; I will try to
    make sure that nobody is left sitting in the reception area for
    very long.

Getting to DECWRL:
	Note that nearby all-day parking is limited!  Please consider
	carpooling, or riding a bicycle, or taking CalTrain (the station
	is a 2-minute walk from DECWRL).

	When you arrive, tell the receptionist that you are here for
	the IETF meeting at DECWRL, and supply my name if there is
	any confusion.  If you are still met with a blank stare,
	ask to speak with Janet Friedberg, 853-6580.

Directions for Locals:
	We are at the intersection of Hamilton and Alma, one block
	south of University Ave. in Palo Alto.  Alma is the northern
	end of what starts out as Central Expressway.

	You will have to park a few blocks south on Alma; see "Parking"
	below.

Directions for Foreigners:

    From San Francisco/SFO:
	Take US 101 ("Bayshore Freeway") South towards San Jose.
	Exit at University Avenue Westbound (Palo Alto); you will
	quickly find yourself in a somewhat rundown shopping district.
	This is the "University Avenue Extension" in East Palo Alto.
	Continue straight through the first stoplight, which merges
	onto University Avenue in Palo Alto.

    From San Jose:
	Take US 101 North towards San Francisco.
	Exit at University Avenue Westbound (Palo Alto); you will
	find yourself crossing over the freeway overpass and you
	will end up on University Avenue.

    In either case:
	Continue on University Avenue, which rapidly becomes an
	expensive residential zone (don't get caught speeding!).

	Take a left at the light at Middlefield Road (a mile or
	so from 101).

	Take the 3rd right on Homer, which is a one-way street.

	Follow Homer all the way to Alma (where Homer ends); turn
	right on Alma.

Parking:
	We have arranged to use the parking lot on Alma between
	Homer and Forest.  This lot has a moderately large sign
	that says "Paddleford Oldsmobile" but at the moment it
	is reserved for Digital SSQ parking.  Please park carefully,
	since lots of other people need to use this lot.

	If the Paddleford lot is full, you will have to park elsewhere.
	There may be some spaces in the CalTrain pay lots either at
	Alma and Hamilton (across from our building) or on the other
	side of the tracks at the CalTrain station.  If you are
	confused, park on the street in a 1-hour or 2-hour space, and
	ask the receptionist for advice.  We may be able to provide
	other options.

	If you park at the Paddleford lot, you MUST tell the receptionist
	that you have done so, and supply your license plate number,
	unless you want your car towed away.

	If you are planning to come, expect to park a car here, and
	haven't told me that you are coming, you ought to do so.
	You need not let me know in advance in order to attend, but
	then don't expect any sympathy about parking woes.

Questions?  Contact me ASAP, since I'll be leaving for SOSP tomorrow
and won't be back until Dec. 11th.  I might be able to read mail
while I'm away, but don't count on it.  Steve Deering is going to be gone
next week, too.

-Jeff