Re: [multimob] I-D Action:draft-ietf-multimob-fmipv6-pfmipv6-multicast-01.txt

"Thomas C. Schmidt" <schmidt@informatik.haw-hamburg.de> Thu, 13 February 2014 23:25 UTC

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 00:25:34 +0100
From: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <schmidt@informatik.haw-hamburg.de>
To: Shuai Gao <gaoxlh@gmail.com>
Cc: multimob <multimob@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [multimob] I-D Action:draft-ietf-multimob-fmipv6-pfmipv6-multicast-01.txt

Hi Shuai,

many thanks for your earlier review and sorry that we picked up work on
this late.

We're now catching up and try to finalize the document (as it had been
struck by an unexpected last call ;) ).

Please see answers inline:

On 25.09.2013 09:49, Shuai Gao wrote:

> As promised at IETF-87, I have reviewed the Fast Handover draft. Overall the I-D is in very good shape. I have a few comments for your consideration.
>
> 1)	P3: improve these handover delays for unicast communication to the order of the maximum delay needed for link switching and signaling between Access Routers (ARs) or Mobile Access Gateways (MAGs) [FMIPv6-Analysis]. ==> improve the performance of handover delays…… Also, what does “to the order” mean in this sentence?

You're right, this sentence is a bit imprecise. We changed to

   Mobile IPv6
   Fast Handovers (FMIPv6) [RFC5568], and Fast Handovers for Proxy
   Mobile IPv6 (PFMIPv6) [RFC5949] improve the performance of these
   handover delays for unicast communication to the order of the maximum
   of the delays needed for link switching and signaling between Access
   Routers (ARs) or Mobile Access Gateways (MAGs) [FMIPv6-Analysis].

"to the order" means that the delay is approximately as stated (plus
noise). In this reference, the indicated delays were identified as the
leading terms in a series of delays.

> 2)	P5: The specified mechanisms apply when a mobile node has joined and maintains… ==> The specified mechanisms apply when a mobile node has joined and maintained…

I don't think so: The sentence basically says that handover mechanisms
apply to active group membership ... this is "has joined and maintains"
or "continues to maintain".

On the contrary, if group membership is not maintained anymore, i.e.,
lost, no multicast handover is required.

> 3)	P6: Depending on the specific network topology though, multicast traffic for some groups … ==> delete the word “though” in this sentence.

O.K.

> 4)	P6: that make it undesirable to forward the multicast traffic.The PAR can… ==> that make it undesirable to forward the multicast traffic. The PAR can…

Thanks, fixed.

> 5)	P7: The NAR implements an MLD proxy [RFC4605] providing host-side behaviour on behalf of the upstream PAR. ==>  Here, “on behalf of the upstream PAR” is little confusing. I suggest to modify to ” towards the upstream PAR.”

Yes, good suggestion - done.

> 6)	P9: In figure 3, FBU has contained the Multicast Option, and thereby both PAR and NAR have known the related multicast information. So the question is whether it’s necessary to include Multicast Option in the HI message here?

As inherited from unicast, FBU is tunneled to PAR and NAR is not
intercepting messages. HI/HACk with MobOpts is performed to keep the
access router in sync. It may be that native multicast traffic arrives
quickly from the local join after handover, but then membership transfer
is terminated from NAR (explicitly without timeout). If native routing
is slow, the tunneling of multicast traffic will be appreciated.

Does this address your comments exhaustively?

If yes, it would be good to hear your opinion on the WG last call.

Best regards,

Thomas