Re: [multipathtcp] (2) Regarding rate control at a subflow level

Nagesh shamnur <nagesh.shamnur@huawei.com> Mon, 20 May 2019 09:19 UTC

From: Nagesh shamnur <nagesh.shamnur@huawei.com>
To: "madhan.raj@samsung.com" <madhan.raj@samsung.com>
CC: Alexander Frömmgen <Alexander@froemmgen.de>, Olivier Bonaventure <olivier.bonaventure@uclouvain.be>, "multipathtcp@ietf.org" <multipathtcp@ietf.org>, Ashutosh prakash <ashutosh.prakash@huawei.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 09:19:00 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.18.156.80]
Subject: Re: [multipathtcp] (2) Regarding rate control at a subflow level

From: Madhan Raj Kanagarathinam [mailto:madhan.raj@samsung.com]
Sent: 20 May 2019 11:57
To: Nagesh shamnur <nagesh.shamnur@huawei.com>
Cc: Alexander Frömmgen <Alexander@froemmgen.de>; Olivier Bonaventure <olivier.bonaventure@uclouvain.be>; multipathtcp@ietf.org; Ashutosh prakash <ashutosh.prakash@huawei.com>
Subject: RE:(2) [multipathtcp] Regarding rate control at a subflow level

Dear Nagesh,

So, while going through the discussion archives, could
only find that, the peer(server) can throttle the speed for the entire
connection by publishing a smaller receiver window rather than for a
particular subflow. I feel, it would be a good idea if the peers can
exchange this information using the control packets.

>> There are quite some research going on SBR and related areas. But if there has to options exchanged (or control), it has to be secured to protect from mangling. Another challenge is that estimating the bandwidth and frequent changing might also be overhead in wireless.

In my research work, to control the same, we throttle the UE RTT by introducing additional delay and controlling the path manager. There are few methods of ACK throttling as well which might help the same. So I would suggest indirect control instead of direct option exchanged.

            Madhan, Thanks for taking note of the problem. Using control channel was one of the alternative which I thought and I agree it might not be the best one. But the issue is genuine and needs to be addressed. Regarding the protecting the header from maligning, it is true for any other as well which is part of MPTCP right?

            Any indirect control IMO would still be a patchy solution rather than directly addressing the problem, right?

Regards,

Madhan