Re: [multipathtcp] MPTCP carrying UDP

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Thu, 24 November 2016 10:32 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: "Olivier.Bonaventure@uclouvain.be" <Olivier.Bonaventure@uclouvain.be>, Sébastien Noel <noel@multitel.be>, "philip.eardley@bt.com" <philip.eardley@bt.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 10:32:09 +0000
Cc: "multipathtcp@ietf.org" <multipathtcp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [multipathtcp] MPTCP carrying UDP

[Med] My point is that we need to isolate the impact of those cascaded layers on the CPU/Performance efficiency from pure interactions between the CCs.

 In the experiment, the CPU is not a concern given
> that PCs were used as routers. The byte overhead influences the maximum
> efficiency of the solution but not how it degrades when there is latency
> or losses. The degration comes form the coupling between the congestion
> control and the reliability mechanisms of both QUIC and MPTCP.
>
> >> OpenVPN includes some framing to carry UDP and
> >> encryption/authentication. These mechanisms add CPU overhead and byte
> >> overhead compared to transporting QUIC over a plain MPTCP connection,
> >> but this does not change the results of the experiments.
> >>

> > [Med] I wouldn't drop that conclusion as the overall performance depends
> also on the overhead prepended to packets to be injected over the tunnel.
> >
> > Putting that aside, can you please indicate how the traffic is
> distributed among available subflows? FWIW, the target traffic
> distribution policy for the hybrid access is to use the fixed line first,
> and then grab some resources from the cellular link if needed. So the
> target objective is not 1+1!
> >

> That's a policy issue. The experiment was whether both links can be used
> efficiently when running QUIC over MPTCP to transport a long file. If
> your policy delays the utilisation of the second link when the first is
> full, then you will get even lower performance since MPTCP will delay
> the utilisation of the subflows.

[Med] It is a policy, that's true... but it is a key point to decide what are acceptable performance or not. Assuming 1+1 is putting the bar too high for the deployments plans I'm aware of.

[SNIP]

> >> As you can see, with QUIC over MPTCP sub-flows, performance seems to
> >> drop as soon as you have an unreliable medium or as soon as you have
> >> latency
> >>
> >> The sames tests were performed again, but this time with HTTP over
> >> end-to-end MPTCTP, to have a point of comparison
> >
> > [Med] When do you say "end-to-end MPTCP" do you mean MPTCP is enabled by
> the client and the server?
> >

> Yes.

[Med] I wouldn't use that as a reference. In order to have comparable results the reference IMHO is to have the same cascade layers for TCP flows that will be proxied into MPTCP connections.

 Given our experience with TCP/MPTCP proxies, the result would have
> been the same with TCP/MPTCP proxies running on the two routers, but
> these proxies could not be integrated in this setup for practical reasons.

[Med] It would be more interesting if similar setup conditions are used to have fair comparisons.