Re: [multipathtcp] Proposed charter text for MPTCP proxy item

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Wed, 16 November 2016 10:06 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: "philip.eardley@bt.com" <philip.eardley@bt.com>, "multipathtcp@ietf.org" <multipathtcp@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 10:06:16 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.5]
Subject: Re: [multipathtcp] Proposed charter text for MPTCP proxy item

Hi Phil,

Thank you for sharing this text.

I would like to make several comments:

·         I don't think that assessment criteria and analysis are to be considered as deliverables (hinted by "producing" wording in the proposed text). This is IMHO part of the normal handling of proposals within WGs. The analysis may be more or less formal, but we don't need to say it explicitly in a charter.

·         At this stage, I only see one merged proposal that is endorsed by a group of people who have the energy to work on this. This group is ready to lead this work to capture and record the consensus of the WG when it comes to technical design choices. Like any IETF draft, that merged proposal is not frozen.

·         From where I sit, I didn't hear objections about the target design objectives of the Network-assisted MPTCP solution (0-RTT proxying, avoid interference with native MPTCP connection, encourage the establishment of e2e MPTCP connections, etc.) but some disagreements about how to structure the additional data to be supplied during the 3WHS. Those are fair objections that can be handled using the normal IETF procedure (i.e., consensus).

·         There was also some interest in the deployment document as a companion material to have a big picture of the Network-Assisted MPTCP models.

In summary, I would like to charter to be more explicit/clear the MPTCP proxy work is definitely in scope. Below a text proposal:

Many operators now contemplate the use of MPTCP to optimize resource
usage in the various access networks (both wired and wireless) they
operate. Corresponding designs assume MPTCP proxy capabilities that
may be embedded in CPE devices and/or in the operator's network.
Typically, an MPTCP proxy may be embedded in the Customer Premises
Equipment (CPE) and/or in the operator's network.
No assumption is made about the location of the
MPTCP proxy inside an operator's network.

The WG will investigate solutions to address these
target deployments. Deployment considerations as well as means to
provision configuration information to MPTCP proxies will also be
documented by the WG.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Med