Re: [multipathtcp] MPTCP proxy work - call for ideas

<philip.eardley@bt.com> Fri, 24 March 2017 12:39 UTC

From: philip.eardley@bt.com
To: luismiguel.contrerasmurillo@telefonica.com, multipathtcp@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 12:39:40 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.216.161.24]
Subject: Re: [multipathtcp] MPTCP proxy work - call for ideas

Luis,
Good to hear you're in Chicago.
So far we proposed solving two proxy scenarios:
<< MPTCP is now seeing widespread deployment in networks to bond together two accesses, such as fixed and mobile broadband, by using an MPTCP-specific proxy or proxies. There are two scenarios. The first involves two proxies, one in the home gateway or Customer Premises Equipment and one in the network, both under the control of the operator. The other scenario involves an MPTCP-enabled smartphone, with LTE and WiFi, plus a proxy in the operator's network.
The WG will analyse proposed solutions for both the single and dual proxy scenarios. The solution(s) may require changes to RFC6824bis, and may require a means of configuring set-up information in the proxy, which would be done in coordination with other IETF WGs such as DHC.

If you've an additional scenario it would be good to hear about it. It would be good if you could tell us on the list, so we can discuss it before the meeting. We'll allow a bit of time during the meeting for discussion about the scenarios we're trying to solve, but I think this will be at the mike rather than presentations.
Also, there'll be some time for solution discussions (in turn for each of the two scenarios - or maybe three scenarios if another one is needed!). Not sure if you have a solution to propose? If you do, 1 or 2 slides is perfect - please present it in the form of a "protocol model".
Thanks
phil