Re: [multipathtcp] Consensus call on potential MPTCP proxy work

Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu> Tue, 18 April 2017 15:01 UTC

To: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com, "philip.eardley@bt.com" <philip.eardley@bt.com>, "multipathtcp@ietf.org" <multipathtcp@ietf.org>
From: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 08:01:03 -0700
Subject: Re: [multipathtcp] Consensus call on potential MPTCP proxy work

Mohammed,

I'm sorry, but when you talk about CPEs and network interconnection,
you're clearly talking (AFAICT) about using MPTCP as an IP tunnel.

That leads to TCP over TCP (where the first is inside the IP packets
you're transiting).

If that's what you're doing, it is a mistake. Layered congestion control
is never beneficial.

Joe